1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What 410 Cab would sound good paired with Ampeg 410hlf?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by The_Robster, Dec 4, 2013.

1. The_Robster

The_Robster

Hey guys,
    Ive got an Ampeg SVT CL Heritage. and currently am running an Ampeg 410HLF with it. I would like to add a second cab to my rig. I was going to get a 15 to pair with it but a previous post steered me towards matching the cab with another 410.
    At first I thought of just adding another Ampeg 410HLF to it but playing it recently made me realize that I have plenty of deep warmness to my sound already and could do with a bit more tightening up with growl and punch.
    As of right now I am leaning towards getting a Mesa Powerhouse 410. Ive got a Mesa guitar amp and love the thing. Mesa quality seems to be top notch and I can get behind supporting American made products. Has anyone here used this cab before and can give me some description on the sound? Even better if they have paired it with Ampeg 410.
    I have not bought the Mesa yet however and am still open to suggestions. the only prerequisite is that the cab be 4ohm and probably a 410.
    What do you guys pair with your 410HLF?
    -Thanks!

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The only cab I would pair with a 410HLF is a second one.

3. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

This. If you want to tighten up your sound do it with eq or sell that cab and get two you like. Just my opinion of course.

4. The_Robster

The_Robster

It seems like a lot of people like using two of the same cabs but is that primarily because of aesthetic reasons? Has anyone tried using two different brands of cabinets and had positive results?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The problem with using two different cabs is that it's a crapshoot whether they will work well together and the only way of knowing is to try them out on a gig. And even if they do, I find they never work as well together as using two of the same cab. So no, it's not about looks for me but performance.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Two identical cabs sound BEST and you have a 99% guarantee to have a great bass tone. The remaining 1% attributes to mechanical failure, poor wiring or something out of your control. You get everything you want out of one cab so adding an identical one gets more of what you already like. Two different brand cabs end up working either good or bad with each other. You can only tell by hooking them up. Typically, the results are terrible. In my experience, one cab usually sounds better/louder than the other one and the other cab just muddies up the tone of the louder cabinet.

8. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

I'll be honest, I don't want 2 different brand cabinets live because it just doesn't match. In a studio situation...I'd mic one cab and a soiled toilet if it made my overall tone sound better. I would be open to 2 matching cabs, and one having different speakers inside though. Only I would know ;)

I'm happy with the single cab I have though.

9. The_Robster

The_Robster

Ok thanks for the input guys. I think what I'm going to do is this. Buy the mesa PH410. A/B them side by side and also together. Determine if I like the sound. If it's good great, If i like the Mesa better, flip the Ampeg (it's kind of beat up though don't know how much I can get out of it) and buy a second. If I like the ampeg better, do the opposite. After all that's what the 30 day satisfaction guarantee thing is all about.
    I dunno the ampeg is great but it does sound a bit muddy and I'de be doing myself a disservice if I didn't explore some different sounds..
    I do actually have an ampeg PN 115 on the way already that I kind of ordered by mistake.was going it pair it with my 410hlf but realized later it was 8ohm. I was going to just send it back but now I'm tempted to just try it and possibly end up going the 2 15 route although I do love my 10s...
    Thanks for bearing with me, it's tough because i can't test them for myself where i live and also I tend to overthink these things...

10. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    This.
    You need to hear them in a band context. From as many positions in the room as possible.

11. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

I would get a SVT-410he - so add a non-ported to your ported.

12. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Two PN15s would be a killer rig. And don't think because they are 15s that it will be muddy. My old svt15e (x2) rig actually had more high end than my current 8x10 setup (although only slightly).

13. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

I would sell all your cabs and get a Heritage 810.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ultimately this is the right answer ;)

15. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

Likely true.

I do think Fender's (relatively) new neo 410 cabs are the best 410s I've ever played through.

Dan

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fair enough, Dan. Never played them myself but Fender seems to be doing OK with that line of cabs.

17. The_Robster

The_Robster

Yea I know I should but the only problem with the 810 is besides the fact it weighs about as much as me is dealing with stairs. Too many downstairs venues around here. Honestly I got to thinking and even though the GAS can be overwhelming I should probably just make due with what I've got :-/

18. The_Robster

The_Robster

Although another option is this. Ive got the PN-115 coming. Perhaps a good course of action is to keep it sell my 410hlf and buy a PN-410. I know you guys say to not mix cabs but After seeing Victor Wootens rig (a Hartke 410 + 115) Im beginning to think that It might actually sound pretty good after all. If that setups good enough for Vic it should be good enough for anyone...
    But there I go looking for excuses to spend money again.. lol damn GAS

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I think your first instinct was the best. Besides, no matter what happens, a good 115 cab is always welcome for those times you want big sound but don't want to lug a 100 lb cab.

20. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

I wouldn't necessarily spend money based on what Victor Wooten has his picture made with. If you like the 115 when you get it, get another one to pair it with and sell the 410.

Dan

21. The_Robster

The_Robster

I just had a thought... Ive got the 410hlf which is 4ohm. Ive got the Ampeg pn115 coming which is 8 ohms. Wouldn't It be possible to buy a second pn115 And Hook up all three cabs together creating a 2OHM Load?
    Jimmy or someone knowledgeable can I hook up all three of these cabs to my SVT CL? its got 2 1/4 inch and a speak on. can I hook up three cabs to it or alternatively daisy chain the 2 15s together and only use one jack and the 410 in the other?
    Please answer this sounds ideal.

If nothing else that would give me tons of options. a 115 for small gigs 215 or 410 for mid gigs and the whole stack for if I've got to blow the roof off.