1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What 4x10 cab for ampeg svt pro 7

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gully35, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Gully35

Gully35

Hi guys. I'm rejoining my old band to make some music and play a few gigs. I love the ampeg svt 810av sound and was looking at buying an svt 7 pro with a 4x10 cab. I don't want to go any bigger in cab size mainly for portability. Are the ampeg 410 cabs any good as stand alone are would I be better with an alternative brand? I seen a trace Elliot 1048h but it's 800 watts at 8 ohms with svt 7 600 watts at 8 ohms.
    What do you guys suggest? We play rock music by the way!
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

If you like the sealed 810 sound, an ampeg 410he is the logical choice.

That said I gas for an svt 7 through a fEARful 15/6.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, the 410he is what you want. It has a tweeter but the voicing is pretty much identical otherwise, so if you're not a tweeter fan, just turn it off.
  4. Gully35

Gully35

I was just a bit concerned that the HE sound might be a bit thin, and I don't want to have to add a 15 for the low end. But yeah I played through the 810av at a gig years ago and it was an unbelievable sound. It's just way too big for my needs.
    I think the wattage is well suited between the Pro 7 and HE 410. It must be pretty load anyway (hopefully!).
  5. CL400Peavey

If you want the vibe of the 810 the HE is the way to go. Also contrary to marketing mumbo jumbo, paring a 410 and a 115 is a bad idea. The idea that a 115 provides more low end than a 410 based on speaker size is a fallacy. Best case is to double up on matching cabs should you need more volume.

Any amp can be used with any cab as long as you use your ears and what is between them. :smug:
  6. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

You may also want to try the 410hlf cabs. I use a b410hlf (400 watts at 4 ohms) and the low end is tremendously better than the sealed b410he that I also tried before purchasing. Also, if you don't plan to add a second cab for portability reasons then the 4 ohm vs. 8 ohm shouldn't be an issue.
  7. Gully35

Gully35

The SVT 410 HE sounds like what I'm after then. Thanks people.
    One last question: if I go with the pro 7 and HE 410 could I add one of those svt 210av's to it in the future if I wanted to, or would the amp not be powerful enough at 8 Ohms?
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bad idea to mix a 410he and 210av. Technically it'll work in the 7 Pro with a 410he, but the 210av is a medium duty cab, and if you're planning on blasting, it is not the cab you should use. The best cab to match with the 410he is a second 410he. There is no free lunch.
  9. Gully35

Gully35

Ok thanks for the info Jimmy, much appreciated!
  10. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

I have this "combo" Only I have 2 4x10 he's And yes it sounds like the 810 !
  11. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    +1 on this. The HLF is BEEFY.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    True but you can't run two of them in a 7 Pro ;)
  13. Gully35

Gully35

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I came across a trace Elliot 1048H online. It's 800 watts at 8 ohms and therefore I couldn't use the ampeg SVT 7 pro. Any suggestions on a good amp to use with this? Or am I better sticking to the SVT 7 Pro with the SVT 410 HE?
    Cheers!
  14. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

what is your perceived problem with running a cab that can accept more watts then you have to put out? Think of it as a cup, it's not a problem to put 12 ozs in a 16oz cup but it sure is hard to put 16 oz in a 12 oz cup.

If that doesn't change your mind, that cab would probably keel over and die if it saw all 600 watts your 7Pro could put out. Even with that cab you should still be careful of volume and not assume you can put err on 11 and kick azz...
  15. Gully35

Gully35

Ah right I didn't realise that. I wonder of its a better cab to go for then than the SVT 410 HE? Or am better staying with ampeg amp and cab?
  16. CL400Peavey

That is personal tonal preference. Can you try before you buy?
  17. Gully35

Gully35

Unfortunately not, the music shops here in Northern Ireland only stock cheap rubbish!
  18. bass.player

bass.player

I own the 7pro and a 410he and in almost all cases I have more than enough volume. In rare cases I need more I add a 15e (yes I know matching cabs are better ;-) ). Works for me!
  19. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Just to throw in another brand, it sounds great imo with the Genz Benz Uber 410. Great rock cab. Punchy, hitting mids but goes deep. High power handling. They seem pretty plentiful used for ~$650.

It's not a bad haul...71 lbs, top side and rear handles and kick-back wheels.

(Edit, just read upward and saw the Ireland thing - no idea on that)
  20. blacknuns

blacknuns

I'm about to get the pro 7 and two 8 ohm 4x10 cabinets. What is the the best way to run the cables to get the most power out of the head? I'm thinking that by running one line out of the head and connecting the cabinets to each other will put me at 4 ohms and give me more power. would this be the case or should I run a line to each cabinet separably?