What '51 style P, for sub-$500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

So, i haven't bought a bass in almost 2 years, which is preeety crazy, seeing as i'd buy/flip basses every month, a few years ago.

It's my MiJ Fender 62 RI P. I just love it!

But, i want something else. My P has flats on it, and it's pretty wonderful for almost everything i need it for... but now i want something similar-but-different. So, i'm looking at '51 style P basses.

I prefer a contoured body... Are the Squier and Douglas offerings the only ones that do that? I'm not opposed to an inexpensive bass... just wondering.

Any help'd be appreciated!

2. zachoff

zachoff

Used Shecter Robert DeLeo/Model T. If you find one w/o the SD Basslines (usually Duncan Design), replace the pickups... Or not if it sounds good to you.

3. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I am going to be putting up my Schecter Model-T this
    weekend for sale. Check the TB classifieds if are are
    interested.

4. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Thanks!

But, i'm looking for that legit 51-style pickup.

Aesthetically though... the 51-style with the P/J is neat!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

Get the Squier Classic Vibe 50s pbass. I have one and I also have a MIM Fender Cabronita pbass. You can barely tell them apart regarding quality of build and materials. I love my Squier. Of course I'd like the Fender version but I can't re-mortgage the house right now!! Slap some Labella's on her and she sounds legit "old school"!!

7. IPA

IPA

Hound around for a used Sting bass

8. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Are they contoured? I thought they were slab.

9. IPA

IPA

Nope, definitely contoured

10. braud357

braud357

+1 on the Squier CV 50's Precision - I have one in Butterscotch Blond. I installed the chrome covers to complete the "old school' look. It plays and sounds GREAT !

11. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Well, dang!

We might have a winner if i can find a deal!

12. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

As an aside, i KNOW these things are great with flats (duh, every bass is!).

But my 61 RI P has the flat tone i need... i primarily wanted the 51 to use with rounds.

How would you describe the 51 with rounds? I play about 80/20 Finger/Pick.

13. IPA

IPA

My Sting was somewhere between a regular P and a Jazz Bass neck pickup. It had the woodiness of a J with the roundness of a P, if that makes sense. Flats are popular and it sounded great with TIs, but I liked rounds on mine just as much.

14. Herbie Chesnutt

Herbie Chesnutt Supporting Member

The Douglas Pisces is contoured. The neck is Jazz width at nut. The stock pup is actually pretty freaking good. In my old house it hummed really bad. Like super bad so I never really played it. Let my son use it so it got knocked around pretty hard.

We just moved and for whatever reason this house has no hum on this pup. None. Quiet as a mouse. Weird. So I've been using it more as my living room grabber while hanging out with the fam. Really, the sound on this Douglas bass is pretty good and the body is comfortable. The neck is pretty much the weakest link for me mostly because the Rondo headstock looks odd on this style bass so I reshaped it. Even reshaped it doesn't look right. Looks like a hack job.

But, for the money, it really is pretty sweet little bass and that pickup is a rocker for sure, as long as it doesn't hum like a gold plated vibrator in a bag of nickels where you are using it.

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Dillion also makes a '54 P copy (scpb with contours). Honestly, the Douglas is better quality. My Dillion needed a ton of work to even be playable, eventually I gave up and started modding.

The day it arrived:
    [​IMG]

As it looks now:
    [​IMG]

16. IPA

IPA

Whoa, nice work!

17. Scott549

Scott549

I also have the Squier CV 50's Precision. It's really a very good bass. I also have a Fender '51 Reissue, which is my favorite bass. It is like the Sting bass but is slab-style, and significantly heavier.

18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i actually see a lot of parts bass 51 type basses in LA, might be fun to try that route and save some cash

19. Batmensch

Batmensch

I am definitely considering one of these (with the covers, too) to be my next (and last) bass. Depends on how much money I can save in the next few months.

20. lostrings

lostrings

I own a Butterscotch Blond Squier and a '55 Fender Precision replica that I built. Fantastic basses....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. MisterLucky

MisterLucky

love my Sting... great neck / body / frets.. all good! I see em for under 400.
    I added a Seymour Duncan Custom Stack to avoid single coil hum from stage lights etc...
    Also.. the input jack has just got to be replaced!!
    $5.00 fix.. bought the chrome screw in foot ball shaped jack plate cause the stock one pulls out ( saw one hanging in Hard Rock with the plate )
    this is just me: added chrome PU and Bridge Cover and WD makes direct replacement pick guards in every color
    http://www.wdmusic.com/guards_bass_fender_precision_bass.html
    I know I cant sell it with all the mods though.. too much invested.. no prob..I'll keep it!