what a drag! my 80's Squier jazz neck is toast.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chili Bo Billy, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Chili Bo Billy

Chili Bo Billy

Last week I noticed a bow in the neck of my jazz. I figured i would adjust the truss rod and get it back into playing shape.
    well, the truss rod wouldn't budge... so, off to the tech to see if he could work his magic.
    He tried for a few minutes, but to no avail, the truss rod was maxed out.
    The Jazz was cheap bass that was modded out and essentially a beater bass,but still, I played that bass more than all my other basses combined. my tech offered to order a mexican fender neck for me but, the body is just laminate and not worth it, even with the upgrades done to my bass.
    I guess it's time for a new bass.
  2. old mark

old mark

WAIT...there are literally truckloads of JB NECKS available new and used online, far cheaper than a new bass and you get to keep your personally modded fave bass with a new-or good used-neck. Fender/Squier necks can be changed in a few minutes with a screwdriver, if you get one with tuners already on it, and maybe 45 minutes if you use your old tuners installed on the new neck. IF you like playing it, it does not matter if it's laminate or what-you might like it even more with a new neck.

Look to Allparts, Warmoth, or eBay for new and used necks, or get that Mexican Fender neck...
    Keep it and fix it, dude!
  3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

If it is simply that the truss rod is maxed out, it may be possible to put some small shim washers under the nut. There are also truss rod repair tools that can add threads to the rod - another tech may have the ability to do either of these.

Otherwise, as said above, there are plenty of necks available.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You need a new tech, If the rod is frozen there are ways to get it unstuck. If it is truely maxed out, a spacer will give it some more adjustment. If that fails you can completely back off on the truss rod and clamp it into a back bow.

He shouldn't have just declared that the neck is trash because of a truss rod nut that wouldn't move
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chili Bo Billy

Chili Bo Billy

Thanks guys, I'll look into that. I'm surprised that my tech didn't suggest that to me as an alternative. I may give it a go myself with the shim washers.
    The neck was sweet, fast playing neck. Anyone who played my bass, changed their mind about the fact it was a cheap Squier.
    I will keep you posted how it turns out.
    Cheers, CBB
  7. Chili Bo Billy

Chili Bo Billy

The issue with the mexican neck was the price, they were talking around $200 + for the neck. For that price I could easily buy a new Squier within that price range.
    The tech isn't someone I always go to since I can do most of the stuff myself, however, When it comes to truss rods I sometimes can get a little overzealous with my tweaking
  8. DogBone

DogBone

If the truss rod is not broken, and especially if the nut can be unthreaded and removed, then the solution to your problem is indeed a few cents worth of shims or washers.
  9. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Some may say it's luck, but I bought an Indo Affinity P for $60 that has one of the sweetest necks I've seen. So a million and a half mods later, it's one of my favorite basses. In fact, the only origional parts left is the neck, 3 tuners(because of the drop D), and the body.

Moral of the story, buy a used AFN, keep the neck and sell the rest = free neck.

10. capnjim

capnjim

I had a neck that was the same. I stuck in a few washers and it was fine after. The trick is finding washers that fit. The only ones I could find are actually lock washers. They are very skinny.
  11. Bassquest

Bassquest

Hang it up by the neck, the body weight may help bring it back. May take a while, couple of weeks but worth the try. Be sure to loosen the strings first.
  12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Had basically the same thing happen. Got a Warmoth replacement and never looked back. Love that neck.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Being that the tech's solution to the problem is to hit you with a $200 neck is really suspect. Don't ever trust that tech again. As mentioned, there are other solutions. If you want to try to keep that particular neck and it's just a matter of the truss rod threads being maxed out, there's a kit available to do it. However, it's expensive off the bat as it's basically a package of necessary tools and thread cutters. ($250 at Stew mac) http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit.html

However, any Tech worth going to probably has something similar to this kit already and will charge you just for labor and a spacer (which is $4).
  14. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I thought I had the same problem, and after researching here phoned my tech to see if he could do it. He told me it's so simple to put in the washers that he'd do it for free. I watched, he took the neck off, removed the nut (simple operation that I could've easily done myself), then applied some silicon on the end of the nut. Problem solved. Point is, if you love that bass, adding washers is probably the way to go, and it's easily done by someone who knows what he's doing. Lots of info from the good folks at TB on this too!
  15. narud

narud Supporting Member

A tech not recommending repairing a squier neck and buying a new one? Seems pretty reasonable. The stew Mac kit wasn't meant to be used for necks with excessive forward bow. It's for rods that have snapped at the nut end.

I also don't know or have come across any techs that own that tool.
  16. Hopkins

That kit is not needed in this situation, just a simple spacer.
  17. narud

narud Supporting Member

Unless a neck wasn't in that bad of shape to begin with, a washer alone hasn't ever done anything for me. It needed clamping in addition to the washer. With certain necks, that wasn't enough either and I had to refret them. If someone brings me a squier that I know I'm going to have clamp, I might tell them to get another neck too unless they're attached to that particular neck and comfortable putting money into it.
  18. Hopkins

So you are going to try and get them to buy a new neck when a simple clamping and spacer will work? The OP already said he loves his neck.
  19. DogBone

DogBone

20. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Nice, and #5 sized washers were recommended when I thought that I needed them for mine.
  21. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

some people simply hang weight on it, bend it back.