1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What a wonderfull feeling!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J.Nuno, Nov 19, 2012.

1. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

When I tried my Squier VM 70's on the store, before buying it, it felt amazing. Nothing like the cheapo I had at home back then. While finalizing the purchase the fella that was helping me said "So, let's change the strings?" and being my first good bass I said "no, leave them, I want to try it like that for a while". Time passed and it was only after almost 1 year that I went back to change the strings.

Listen, I know that after all this time the strings get old and would have never play the same way when I bought it, but the with the new strings...... Whoa!! it's like a new instrument! Seriously! I got "bright" D'addario roundwounds and it's amazing how the strings can change how the bass feels and sounds. Which leads me back to an old issue: brands should put good strings on their basses so that in the store the user can get the full experience from the bass. Can't wait to go home explore it a bit more!

I guess experienced players don't get these feelings anymore, but I thought I'd share this moment with you guys :)
  2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

100% agreement here. It's the least expensive way to get a 'new' bass. :cool:
  3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

After I started using Rotosound roundwounds, in the mid 70's I was on a search for the strings that were bright, clangy and long lasting. I was always impressed with the factory strings on the Yamahas our store carried, so I ordered a few sets from Yamaha. They were great sounding (but not long lasting). I have never seen them in stores.
  4. tabdog

tabdog

I spent decades liking new bright
    strings. I used to change strings
    almost weekly.

Over time, I have come to the
    realization that I like a well worn
    set of strings.

I don't change strings until one
    breaks,

Tabdog
  5. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Supporting Member

I am the same way. I like it when my strings are about 6 months old. Then they stay on until they break as well. I get made fun of by all the guitarists I know who change strings after every song. I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's. I also am lucky that my hands don't sweat at all. I have EB's on my Charvel that are about 5 years old, and still sound great
  6. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Oh, yes I don't sweat from my hand either, so maybe that's why they lasted so long.
  7. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Yeah, man! Strings sure do matter, as to tone and feel.

And an alcohol soak works to prolong the usable life of strings. Since I started using that technique, I'll get three uses of a set before the wrap deforms too much from contact with the frets. (Dents in the wrap, IOW.)
  8. awilkie84

awilkie84

I like the sound of a worn in set of strings, but they don't feel right as they lose tension.
    I always have to get a heavier gauge and work them in to normal feel. -_-
  9. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    I used to live in Okinawa Japan, and a local mom and pop shop carried those Yamaha strings. You are 100% right. Brand new those strings sound awesome. I thought I had found my string. I have never seen them stateside. Now I use DR Highbeams.