What a wonderfull feeling!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J.Nuno, Nov 19, 2012.

1. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

When I tried my Squier VM 70's on the store, before buying it, it felt amazing. Nothing like the cheapo I had at home back then. While finalizing the purchase the fella that was helping me said "So, let's change the strings?" and being my first good bass I said "no, leave them, I want to try it like that for a while". Time passed and it was only after almost 1 year that I went back to change the strings.

Listen, I know that after all this time the strings get old and would have never play the same way when I bought it, but the with the new strings...... Whoa!! it's like a new instrument! Seriously! I got "bright" D'addario roundwounds and it's amazing how the strings can change how the bass feels and sounds. Which leads me back to an old issue: brands should put good strings on their basses so that in the store the user can get the full experience from the bass. Can't wait to go home explore it a bit more!

I guess experienced players don't get these feelings anymore, but I thought I'd share this moment with you guys :)

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

100% agreement here. It's the least expensive way to get a 'new' bass. :cool:

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

After I started using Rotosound roundwounds, in the mid 70's I was on a search for the strings that were bright, clangy and long lasting. I was always impressed with the factory strings on the Yamahas our store carried, so I ordered a few sets from Yamaha. They were great sounding (but not long lasting). I have never seen them in stores.

4. tabdog

tabdog

I spent decades liking new bright
    strings. I used to change strings
    almost weekly.

Over time, I have come to the
    realization that I like a well worn
    set of strings.

I don't change strings until one
    breaks,

Tabdog

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

I am the same way. I like it when my strings are about 6 months old. Then they stay on until they break as well. I get made fun of by all the guitarists I know who change strings after every song. I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's. I also am lucky that my hands don't sweat at all. I have EB's on my Charvel that are about 5 years old, and still sound great

7. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Oh, yes I don't sweat from my hand either, so maybe that's why they lasted so long.

8. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Yeah, man! Strings sure do matter, as to tone and feel.

And an alcohol soak works to prolong the usable life of strings. Since I started using that technique, I'll get three uses of a set before the wrap deforms too much from contact with the frets. (Dents in the wrap, IOW.)

9. awilkie84

awilkie84

I like the sound of a worn in set of strings, but they don't feel right as they lose tension.
    I always have to get a heavier gauge and work them in to normal feel. -_-

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I used to live in Okinawa Japan, and a local mom and pop shop carried those Yamaha strings. You are 100% right. Brand new those strings sound awesome. I thought I had found my string. I have never seen them stateside. Now I use DR Highbeams.