What aftermarket bridge to use on an FADPV?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BrentB, Mar 2, 2014.

1. BrentB

BrentB Supporting Member

I was thinking of adding some upgrades to my 2005 Fender American Deluxe Precision Ash V. At this time I am primarily considering a bridge upgrade. I would like to use the same mounting holes, continue to load the strings through the body, and want something that will obsorb less of the strings vibrations than the factory bridge. It seams that my Carvin had better sustain than this Fender and I thought that maybe the beefy bridge on the Carvin was the reason why. If anyone has or has had one of these beautiful 5 string basses and has any experience with upgrading the bridge, please let me know your experiences. What are your thoughts?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    My thoughts are that you would be best served by doing a search on this topic which has been covered countless times. I don't mean to be impolite, just trying to help you to use the site to good advantage.

3. BrentB

BrentB Supporting Member

Thanks for your helpful response. I did do a search on the topic and didn't find results that were specific to bridge upgrades for the FADPV. This is what led me to create the post. Maybe I'm putting in the wrong search criteria, so if this specific topic has been covered please provide a URL link for me to follow. That would be helpful. Thanks.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Hipshot A-Style Brass Fender Mount version.
    Drastically beefier than the stock Fender version, great sustain and clarity, solid as a rock, mounts easily... it's everything you want!

And if that doesn't work, sell me your bass :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    In general, I would consider searching the discussions on replacement bridges generally, though you probably have done this. The general discussion about low mass/hi-mass bridges has been worn out - discussed since TB came online. Same is true of through-body or through-bridge string mounts. Though your post may not have intended it, it does open the whole debate on these points all over again - for the umpteenth time.

Please understand, I am not criticizing you for your honest question. The problem is that as these online databases of information become more deeply infused with knowledge, the more complicated it becomes to ferret out that knowledge. And thus the more onus there is on the person seeking the knowledge to formulate an acute and accurate criterion for searching.

In the meantime, please forgive us that have been down this path so often that it has become painful.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, a well-worn subject, but not always easy to see by a new member;

anyway, the amercan deluxes have fantastic bridges, you'll gain nothing by changing it and will probably lose something, like the correct string spacing.

if you're gonna upgrade, look at the pickups and preamp.

8. BrentB

BrentB Supporting Member

Thank you, that is what my Carvin had and it sounded great. What do you think about the Leo Quan bridges?

9. BrentB

BrentB Supporting Member

What pickups do you recommend? I've only had the bass for about a month and so far I'm pretty satisfied with the sound of the pickups except for the typical fender buzz.

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I would rather have the Hipshot, personally. I've had the BadAss, but like the adjustability of the Hipshot much better.

11. walterw

what buzz is that?

they're hum-canceling pickups, they should be pretty quiet.

12. BrentB

BrentB Supporting Member

The Jazz pickup in the deluxe P bass is a humbucking pickup but not the split single coil Precision pickup. I would have to admit that my house has poor grounding but my other (non Fender) basses make no noise at all. In fact if I were to not touch any metal on the guitar the buzz sound is evident, when touching the strings or controls the buzz is gone. I have another Fender Pbass that acts in the exact same way, with and without additional EMI cavity/pup sheilding.

13. vince a

vince a

Ditto . . .

14. walterw

no, that one is a humbucker too.