1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What all comes with buying a bass online?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nic97, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Nic97

Nic97

I'm thinking about buying a new bass from Musicians Friend online. My main concern, is that I cannot find out what comes included with the bass, such as a hardshell case. If anyone has information specifically regarding Epiphone or ESP/LTD basses and their contents, it would be much appreciated. :)
  2. pica

pica

I could be wrong but usually only your higher end basses come with a HSC. Otherwise they just pack it in bubble wrap and box it.
  3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I've only bought two instruments new on-line, and on the HB, there was the bass & 2 hex keys IIRC. On the Epi there was the bass, a poster, a brochure and 2 hex keys, IIRC again.

HSC is never included unless it's listed in the description AFAIK.

AFAIK again, even Fender and Gibson have stopped including the HSC as a default, at least on their budget models.

Regards
    Sam
  4. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Yep. You're lucky to get a gig bag anymore. I got my Squier CV Jazz from them and it came in the original factory retaining box inside the Squier box. My Epi T-Bird and Casady came the same way.

Unless you're buying American Standard or such there'll be no case or bag.
  5. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

What also comes with buying online is possibility of shipping damage, or not getting one that makes you happy, etc...although more rare these days.

Honestly, if you are anywhere near a Guitar Center, go. I was in GC in Boston a couple of days ago and they are beating their online prices on a lot of stuff. I was stunned. And if you haggle a bit, they might even throw in a gig bag.
  6. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I've purchased a couple of basses on line, through Musicians Friend, the risk of not liking the bass is always there .....but they have a good return policy ...... as to what's included ... I'd go the the bass manufacture's site and see what's included ... my experience is most low/mid priced bass will come with nothing case wise, but some do ship with a soft gig bag ..... your higher priced basses will most likely have a hard-shell case ..... all the bass I've ordered came/shipped double boxed ..... did you call Musicians Friend and ask them if a case is included?
  7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Brands like Epiphone, ESP/LTD mostly give gigbags IF they give away something to protect their gear.

High End basses, signature basses and limited editions have HSC cases (most of the time).

Btw, nice signature you have, Rammstein fan? :p
  8. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

As most of the others have said, higher end basses usually come with a hsc, but anything below about £800 only comes with a gig bag (if you're lucky).

I think quite often it's down to the store rather than the brand of instrument, my thunderbird didn't come with any case at all, and I would have thought that out of all the body shapes, a t-bird would come with at least a gig bag since you need a t-bird specific bag to put it in.
  9. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

It depends on the particular model. At least with Fenders and Squiers it goes something like:
    MIA instruments and higher end Fenders get an SKB molded hardshell case, truss rod wrench allen wrenches for the bridge, strap and cord(and a bumper sticker!).
    MIMs and some other midrange models get Gig bags and Allen wrenches.
    Lower end Fenders and Squiers get no case, but (with my two Squiers at least) you get Allen wrenches for the bridge and truss rod.
    Understand this may not be entirely accurate as of this date, this is all based on me buying my Fender MIA Jazz, and two VM Squiers' all new, two of which (MIA JAzz and VM P) were purchased from MF, the other (VM J) from Sweetwater, in the past three years.
  10. dmusic148

dmusic148

Disappointment. I think it's a fools game. Total gamble.
  11. bassgeezer56

bassgeezer56

What comes with buying a bass online? Trouble, frustration, emails, phone tag. I love my local music shop!
  12. MyMusic

MyMusic

I recently got a mim pbass from Musicians Friend and it came with a gig bag and allen wrenches. The advertisement listed the gig bag as part of the deal.
  13. bassgeezer56

bassgeezer56

I don't but cheep junk, am willing to lay down substantial cash for the good stuff but only after my fingers have massaged every nook and cranny of that piece. I know what I'm taking home!! Just bought a set of Yorkville Led4 lights, received with hidden damage in shipping, thru my LOCAL music shop they were replaced and in my hands within 48 hours. I filed the damage report with Yorkie on a Sunday nite and the replacement process was initiated even before my local store knew of the issue on Monday morning. Yorkville Rocks!! Buy Local!! Buy Local!! Try that with a free trade import!! lol
  14. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I agree it's better to play before you buy but if you don't have that option then why not call or email MF to see what is included with the bass you want.
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you're buying from a company, why not ask them?

I've had very good luck buying online, but I don't expect to get anything that's not explicitly listed as coming with the bass. That's really your answer - if it's not listed as part of the sale, it's not included.
  16. ksandvik

ksandvik

If it's damaged by transport, send it back. This seems to be the new business model, reminds me of looking into getting Fedex shares.
  17. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

I've bought maybe a dozen basses from MF. Only had a problem once and it wasn't their fault, instead a manufacturer defect (read about the Midnight Blue RIC debacle). They quickly took care of me and the issue. Just ordered a Stingray from them about an hour ago. If you have any questions on what comes with the bass, you could always call them. I find their customer service to be very helpful. If they don't know the answer up front, they will find it and get back to you.
  18. RipOffRed

RipOffRed

I recommend you call and ask them. I bought my Hofner from Musicians Friend and a hardshell case wasn't listed. I wasn't too concerned about it, since I'm between bands, it'd mostly sit on a stand when not being played. However, I was pleasantly surprised when it came with one. A pretty nice one at that.

If you must know and it doesn't say, give them a call or read the reviews and see if anyone mentions it. No matter what read all the reviews. If someone mentions any sort of QC issues, really consider purchasing from a store. Also there's a very good chance you're going to need to do some adjustments to get it set up properly.