What am I buying REALY?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Afred1980, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Afred1980

Afred1980

Hello,
    I just found a new 7/8ths 5-string Shen 800, and I loved it. It is beautiful, plays wonderfully and has an enormous sound. The guy is asking $8000.00.

My Last bass purchase was a mistake. I spent 2,500 for a carved bass that crumbled in just a few years. It is time for, and I am excited to get a new instrument, but I am scared about throwing down for a NEW bass, and one made in a factory in China at that. However, I was impressed with this instrument, and wanted to get a sense of people experiences with these instruments. Thank You!
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Hi,

I owned a Shen 150 hybrid for about a year and got to play a Shen 800 3/4 four-string at J.R. Judd Violins in Pennsylvania on a road trip last summer.

Shens are considered to be among the best Chinese instruments and the hybrid I had was almost as good as any of my older European instruments. The 800 I played blew away every bass in the store, including the four early 1900s German and Bohemian basses they had in stock.

I have no reason to believe you would be throwing good money after bad by purchasing a Shen.
  3. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

I have a Shen SB-200 Willow Rogeri. It's a solid, well-built instrument. Don't let a crappy Chinese bass scare you away from a Shen. Do a search here for Shen and see what else you find.
  4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

At the price-point of $8000, I suggest that you play a bunch of basses. There are several good options. If it's the Shen that ultimately speaks to you then, indeed, given their reputation, the country of origin should be of no concern.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrPeel

MrPeel

That's Williamsport area correct? Beautiful country there... I was planning a trip to Judd's to play a Kay they had in stock, but the plans fell through. I grew up in the area though.
  7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Yes sir, downtown Williamsport. I played that Kay and didn't like it nearly as much as the '51 I had at that time. All twang, no boom and a funky Superglued scroll crack.
  8. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Just curious... did you have a need for a 5 stringer?