1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by cerokilik, Dec 9, 2013.

1. cerokilik

cerokilik

So recently switched to DB. I actually regret not picking it up sooner. Slight problem though. I can attempt to rosin the bow but rosin doesn't seem to go on. I've played all other instruments in an orchestra but have never had this problem before. Either I am bass rosin incompetent or its different.:(
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Is your bow a Glasser with synthetic hair? Rosin refuses to stick to plastic hair.
  3. Champagne

Champagne

What rosin are you using?
  4. cerokilik

cerokilik

Its a shar fusion, I have no idea what kind of hair it has. Probably should invest in a better bow but it functions alright I just get told it needs more rosin. Could it be the rosin? Should I try a different rosin then pops?
  5. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

If you're anything like me, the first time you tried, this, you didn't push nearly hard enough. Tighten up the bow hair, and crank away. You'll get some rosin on there.

Rosin does get hard over time to the point of being unusable - that may be what's happened here, too.

If you've got a cake of rosin around from another instrument that you know is good, try some of that instead.

-S-

6. Champagne

Champagne

Ha! Same here. To add, I pull across the rosin with the cake tilted with a fast bow strokes to heat the rosin to help the application.

7. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Use Pop's.
  8. RSBBass

RSBBass

OK I guess its my turn to say this. Get a teacher. In addition to showing you how to get the rosin on your bow, they will help keep you from developing bad habits that can actually hurt you.
  9. Hector Wolff

Hector Wolff

If your bow is new or newly rehaired, the virgin hair needs to be primed. Most shops use a finely powdered rosin for this. The priming makes your regular rosin application take better, and it takes much less time and rosin to get the bow pulling a good sound.

It it not absolutely necessary to prime new hair, but if it is not primed it can seem like the rosin you are applying is not working.
  10. cerokilik

cerokilik

Where can one get powdered rosin for priming a bow?
  11. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

Most of us do without powdered rosin - well, at least I've never used it, and I've broken in more new and rehaired bows than I can remember. Just give it some time and it'll work. And don't forget that you need a relaxed, heavy-feeling arm to apply some downward pressure on the strings when you bow - if you don't do that, all you'll do is skate over the strings, even with a ton of rosin.

-S-
  12. icanjam

icanjam

I always use whatever I have to get a new bow going, I also just got a shar fusion, like any other new bows I get it takes about 20 mins of rosining before it'll start playing right.
  13. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Powdered Rosin isn't rocket science, and it's not a miracle cure either. Don't tell anyone I'm letting you in on an insider secret here: Powdered Rosin is regular (violin) rosin smashed up. Those little cloth pouches it often comes in? Take a hammer to that, open it up and poor the results into a container. The special "Powdered Rosin Miracle Box" shops have? It's the box they pour this rosin in, that they apply either by dragging the bow hair through it, or dusting it onto the hair. Some shops have specific rosins they use for this, but I'm guessing most of them use the "some kid dropped this one on the showroom floor and it cracked" method of selection. I am not saying this is a big scam or that shops use horrible rosin on your bows or anything like that. I'm just saying that it makes everyone's life easier when there's a bit of rosin on the bow already, as rosin doesn't stick to new hair very well. Most shops apply a modest amount that just gets the ball rolling. You also have the right to request they don't do so.

There are horror stories you hear here like: "One time someone used two strokes of Carlsson on my bow and 10 years later it still isn't the same" that are a little melodramatic. If you absolutely love using violin rosin (it can be done, with very good results) and someone loads a ton of Pops on your bow, it's going to take a while to play it out. Just not years, multiple rehairs, a ritual sacrifice or two etc. If you don't want someone using your bow, don't let them. Problem solved.

Most shops/bow makers don't apply powdered rosin to bass bows, as bass players get really picky about what rosin is on their bow. Some violinists can be picky too, but I haven't seen the devotion to one rosin or absolute hate of another to the extent you see with bassists. Bass rosin is also significantly more sticky, so it doesn't take nearly as long to get some on a bow. I wouldn't go through the trouble of buying or making powdered rosin.

There are some great tips here, but "get a teacher" trumps everything. If you think you are having rosin issues, they will be able to answer that in seconds. The much more important thing is that they will address what are likely underlying technique issues, and put you on a path to success. Bowing isn't easy. Even a few lessons can make a huge difference.