What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Mar 29, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

I want to get out and play! I meet a guitarist and we jam maybe 2 or 3 times and then I can't get them to jam again. I'll text and they just stop responding. I know it's nothing with my skills because I know I'm a very good bassist and even the guys I jam with say so. I have literally driven an hour more than once to meet up and jam and would be happy to keep doing so because I want to rehearse and I want to play. And I am ALWAYS the one that does the traveling every time. I tell these guys "I will come up on all my days off." and I volunteer to when the time comes but I cannot get any responses. Sure, I have those days where I just want to chill and not do anything but I push past that feeling.

This is why I like playing with older musicians. Lol Rant over. Frustration dealt with. Haha
  2. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

How are you socially?

Maybe they think you're weird.:hyper:

Or maybe they're just flakes.

O rmaybe THEY feel it didn't gel.
  3. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Scroo guitards- chase drummers!!!!
    Get with a drum buddy and create a rhythm section. Write some funky grooves.
    The guitards will.be drooling to jam with you guys.
  4. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

In all honesty...

On a scale from 1 - 10,

What is your charisma?
    What is your talent for bass?

If they find you a little "off" or dont like how/what you play, that may be it.

A lot of younger people dont know what they are doing schedule wise too. Theyll play guitar for 30 minutes, make plans to go to a movie and before they ever reach the theater be headed to someones house.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Most people are not very objective when it comes to their own playing. Some people are better than they think they are but most are not even close to being as good as they think they are. It could be that you are not quite as good as you believe or not as good as the people you have jammed with. Maybe they didn't think your style fit what they wanted to do or felt that your personality wasn't a good match.
  7. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Socially, I'm generally a pretty quiet person. I don't have a big head at all and am one of the more laid back nicer people one could meet. I can hold my own on bass. I never give puzzled looks when people try to tell me progressions/key changes. I can play different styles. I can play with a pick, fingerstyle, and slap. At open jams, I'm complimented often and give thanks when I am. The one negative thing I have been criticized on is I can play too fast or fancy sometimes and I get hard to keep up with and they get lost. Then again somebody else might say the opposite lol. But I also know how to keep it simple which is usually what I do. The "fancy" stuff I just do in small doses.

The thing about styles not fitting in my situations don't really apply. Because a few of these guys have wanted to do just covers. I always learn the songs and I can learn pretty quickly. When it comes to originals, how can one expect to get anything going if they don't put in the effort to jam more than 1-3 times? It's sort of unrealistic to expect to get a full repertoire of originals put together if you only jam 3 times. I'm not saying I'm Mr. Dedicated over here, all I'm saying is I put in the necessary work to get things going all just for it to not even matter in the end. It's very discouraging. Lol
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Audition for bands. Respond to "bass player wanted" ads. Test out your appeal among people who actually want to play. You may have only jammed with worthless people who happen to play a little guitar.

There's a couple of those out there, you know.
  9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Not getting any calls from these? Are you making yourself "available"? Self-promotion?

Seems like you can gain more from playing with others, than wrangling up a couple of flakey wankers.
  10. Zephrant

Zephrant

How is your BO? Guy a few cubes down from me douses himself in something smelly each day and it is driving me nuts. Nicest, quietest guy, but I can't stand to be around his smell. It would crush him if I said anything, but wow.....

Post a video for us to check. You'll get honest feedback.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

^this^

Get tight with a crackerjack drummer and the rest of the band will follow.

One thing a lot of guitar players want when jamming is to solo a lot and if you are playing a dense line they can't find any room to solo in, they won't be there for long.