What am I looking at here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tat2dHeart, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Came back home to podunk nowhere and ran across this in a local music shop. She plays pretty sweet, but I can't find any good identifying marks. Any ideas who might be the builder?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shop owner said she's a Michael Tobias, but she doesn't feel or play like any Tobias I've played so far. The tag says "Michael Kelly" but a google search of him suggests acoustic basses, not electric. She's kind of got a Peavey look going on in the body style, but the inlay doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on a Peavey.

Any ideas, anyone?

2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

They are sold on Ebay Often dirt cheap but High shipping. Hand made overseas. I think there are several similar sellers but I have been following this one for years. I'm pretty sure it is his work. You could send him the picture and ask him to be sure. Well worth a look IMO.
    http://myworld.ebay.com/inlaidartist?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

3. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

4. dasbusking

dasbusking

I thought I saw a seller on ebay, selling from Vietnam with about three or four different bases inlaid like this. this was three or four months ago. I cant remember exactly but it sure looks familiar. I did a quick search and don't see any listed right now. It sure looks sweet!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Just a guess, but maybe they're Antonio Tsai basses.

7. PlussBassist

PlussBassist

I saw an almost similar bass on a Norwegian trading site (almost like a Norwegian eBay): http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/annonse?finnkode=38545033&kwUnica=ebs

You probably won't understand much of the description, but it translates to something like:

"Nice 5er from Antonio Tsai. One of the best basses I've ever played in this price range. Soft touch and good definition all the way down to the bottom. Active electronics and handbuilt pickups." Price: 3500,- NOK (about 600 USD)

8. NYCbassist

Hey maybe it's antonio Tsai? Lol

9. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Interesting - I'm checking out the links on all these now. She's pretty to look at and plays pretty nice - but before I consider making a move, I would prefer to know what it is and what its worth if you know what I mean.

10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Interesting piece. Sure doesn't look like Mike Tobias's work, though. You got to play it? How's the neck and fretwork?

Any markings on the heel plate, or back of the headstock?

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Looks like a Peavy body with a refinished Yamaha neck and a lot of aftermarket inlay

12. NYCbassist

The components always seemed very generic to me. As I stated above I have been following him for years but never got to try one. They definitely have the looks but how do they sound? How was the weight/Balance?

13. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    how can they possibly make that stuff and sell it for $100?

14. Tat2dHeart

It's nothing like any Tobias I've ever played, so I'm pretty sure it's not any of his work. I did get to play it. The neck is straight and comfy. Frets were in good shape - not PLEK level, but pretty consistent for height up and down and across the neck. No lifting along the edges, either.

The back of the headstock had no markings at all and the plates were clean. I asked if the shop owner would open her up and look for other identifying marks, but he declined (5 minutes to quitting time and other customers in the shop - he was the only one working).

I played this one for about 20 minutes - really liked the way it felt. Balance was good and no neck dive. Not overly heavy - comparable to my Lakland 44-02.

I liked the feel and the sound. I did find it curious that the hardware is sort of mismatched - gold tuners, but chromed bridge and knobs. ~shrugs~ Never can tell with people, right?

I just want to be sure that if I go back in and make the guy an offer, it's a fair offer. I'm sort of...um...frugal. Yeah - let's go with that - and I love the sport of haggling. :D

15. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

It is what I thought, I'm really sure about it.

Attached Files:

16. dickfitts

dickfitts

From some guy in Vietnam, for sure. Not sure of name, but they've been selling on ebay for between $400-$750. Best of haggling luck! Let us know more!

17. cdef

cdef

It all seems to be a kind of Vietnamese cottage industry. Apprentices get to work on Chinese-made bodies and necks through lots of middlemen, until the completed instrument ends up on eBay under the name of "master craftsman" Antoniotsai. There have been many complaints about insufficiently cured wood splitting, much filler in the inlays, and so on.

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

The fact that the headstock inlay is under the truss rod cover is telling, and the heal/neck pocket work isn't all that great looking from the pictures. I would steer clear, I'm not saying it's junk, it just looks like a cheap overseas built bass with cool inlay work.

19. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    + whatever. Not a Tobias.

20. Tat2dHeart

Thanks, peeps. The consensus seems to be Antonio Tsai. Now it's up to me to decide what (if anything) I decided to do about her. I'll let you know when I do. :D

21. aproud1

aproud1 I don't feel tardy? Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Just skip it and save your money for a Clement... :bag: