What am I missing ..?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChopperDave, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I feel like my board is missing something ... I have room for one more pedal, and I want to make it a good one. So I turn once again to you, the TB community!

Here's what I use:
    Passive basses (4 and VI) and a Casiotone from the 80s into a GK 700RB-II/Ampeg SVT-15en

My effects:
    Tuner -> MicroPOG -> OCD clone set pretty light -> Chorus -> EHX Freeze -> Compressor -> Flashback delay

My style is generally pretty "melodic" to use an overused term ... we play music that's influenced as much by shoegaze and 80s/90s alt rock (not so much grunge) as it is blues and folk. We had a 2nd guitarist who added tons of atmospheric stuff, but he's gone and I think we're carrying on as a four-piece (me, drummer, female vocalist + acoustic/electric, and female vocalist + mandolin and percussion).

You can hear one of our more representative songs in my signature, just remove from your head lots of the electric guitar you hear, since he's gone now. I usually play this with some delay on the higher bits and the OCD on the parts that go OOOO,oooooo ... we just didn't record it that way.

So, I don't know. I don't want to go too out-there with it. No need for wild filters or bitcrushers or anything. No need for anything you'd call "funky," especially wah-type stuff. And I don't think I need another dirt pedal, but maybe ... And it has to have a smaller footprint--MXR/EHX Nano size or smaller.

I plan on bringing the keyboard into the mix a little more, too, especially if we don't ever replace the guitarist.

I'm all over the place: I've been thinking: auto-swell (a la Slow Gear), maybe tremolo (which I think I want to find more usable than I do), a harmonist to add 5ths, an octave-up fuzz, or a tone-shaper like the Joyo American.

Any ideas? Recommendations?

2. erigod23

erigod23

3. ChopperDave

Thought about that, too. I like the VFE Enterprise and the Blackout Effectors Sibling. The Phase100 is pretty nice, too. Thanks!

4. ChopperDave

PS: If anyone sees this and says, "I have just the thing!" and they want to trade it for an Ibanez BC10 Bass Chorus, let me know ... I have one in excellent condition lying around; I just prefer the cheaper BC5 Soundtank version, so I use that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ChopperDave

7. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody gives me anything
    I think I know just the thing.

TINY footprint
    Usable with most any genre of music
    Great for creating elaborate overlapping harmonies and layers

TC Electronic Ditto Looper

I think this is the coolest pedal I have. It doesn't do any effects per se, but it allows you so many options. Placing it at the end of my chain I can have heavily effected signals, with clean lines on top, or make a basic line then add harmonics and other fun bits over top. It's the most dull, and yet most interesting pedal I own. Brings no effects to the table, but allows you SO MUCH creative options that it's crazy.

If that is a no-go for you phaser/flanger are fun. and pitch shifting (digitech whammy) is a lot of fun, but rarely applicable. Your pog and chorus already help to fill in space, but you could try some reverb to have the whole space filling package (to make up for the loss of your guitarist).

Side note: i like your example song, very nice

8. Denver Max

Denver Max

Try The Depths by Earthquaker Devices or a similar univibe type pedal. Would probably add a lot to your sound and its small-ish.

9. ChopperDave

First, thanks for the complement!

I've been thinking about the ditto--definitely an option. My Flashback loops, but then I lose any delay I might want to use on the loop. So, great suggestion.

As for the Univibe, I tried that with the Catalinbread harmonic mesmerizer, but it didn't quite do it for me. That said, I think I might give it another try.

I also now have an ebow on the way; that should be interesting, especially on my Bass VI!

10. Denver Max

Denver Max

Ebow on bass vi! Jealous!

11. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

They're fantastically musical little Bit Crushers but, unfortunately, they are out of production! They're well worth getting, if you do find one!

12. ChopperDave

Damn, I had a feeling, since I have had the worst time trying to find one. Well, I'm in no rush so hopefully one will turn up at some point. I'd be interested to hear my Casiotone through one of those, too!

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, unfortunately they are out of production and hard to find. I saw that same vid and it made me want that pedal too haha. Behndy actually let me use his for a stretch, very nice of him. But anyway, have you though about getting a reverb pedal of maybe a rotary, not a trem though. Or maybe even the new whammy coming out?? How about replacing your mini POG for a POG2? You'd be able to do a lot more with it than the mini.....

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Or maybe even replacing your OCD clone with an SA OFD? I replaced my Fulltone OCD with the OFD and Im pretty happy. But now I have about 10 other dirts to choose from :) its pretty sweet. octave fuzz is pretty awesome

15. ChopperDave

I have space to consider, so any of those are out. I like to keep it compact. Reverb is an option, but I don't see using it too much. the BIT, especially as I bring more keys into the mix, would give me more sonic stuff to play with. I have a Flashback delay, so while it's no reverb, it gives me a lot of time-modulation options.

Also, I'm too happy with the Ultimate Drive, and I don't use dirt all that often.

Octave fuzz is still a consideration, since it's more than just dirt. Maybe the Joyo Voodoo, since I'm a cheap-o.

16. behndy

behndy

yeah. the Bit is weird. awesome pedal, but Malekko... i dunno. it's like he doesn't like making stuff that is popular? he did a relatively small run of those. the Mooer is similar, easier to find and cheap but.... yeah. not as good.

a BugCrusher nails the same sound a bit better, and the Mobius has a mode that KILLS doing SRR.

urg. plug and crap. the song Sex Accident here has the Mobius at the mid change section -

http://www.BloodPartyBand.com/music

dunna if that's more than you're looking for, but with good save spot management the Mobius can get rid of 3 or 4 effects boxes and let you have song specific tempo/pattern sync'd stuff.

17. ChopperDave

I was pretty close to getting a Mooer Mod Factory, but ended up buying a MIDI/iOS keyboard instead ... I've been playing more keys and needed something a little better than my 80s casiotone.

I think when I'm ready for more bass stuff a crusher and a Joyo American will for the bill.

18. behndy

behndy

nice. which keyboard did you go with?

i was using the IO Dock for a hinute with an ipad. very cool. lots of options. i just recently went to a Novation Launchkey with a laptop though. for the same amount of space it let me go from a 25 to a 49 key and use the Native Instruments Komplete package i already have.

oof. there's so many awesome options for cheap soft synth now. LOVE IT.

19. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133

A tremolo with the VI would be awesome for your style and taking up a ton of space that the lead guitarist would have filled. If you could find a small enough one and add a phaser too it would be even better.

20. ChopperDave

I went with the iRig Keys Pro. Loving it so far ... Any sound in GarageBand or core-MIDI app works. No lag, nothing.

And yeah, a term with the VI works really well. And with the keys, woooooo! Rotating speakers!