What amp are you Kala Ubass players using?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by klaatu, Mar 21, 2014.

1. klaatu

klaatu

I have the Kala solid body and the acoustic/electric. When I first got them I was using my GK MB115. The sound was good but I wanted a bit more articulation, if that's the correct word. After reading many reviews here about the Genz Benz Contour, I decided to buy the combo with the 15 inch speaker. So far I like it better than the GK MB115, just a bit more articulation, and lots of variety of tones and I like the Contour adjustment better than the on/off button on the GK. Nothing wrong with the GK, but to my ears the Genz Benz Contour is sounding like a better fit. I am not a gigging musician for now, new player with just 4 years of playing, but I would sure like to hear my set up in a setting where can crank it up. I'm interested in what the other Kala players are using for amps and what you're liking. Also, thanks to other members here that gave me advice regarding the Genz Benz Combo! Looks like I may sell the GK, don't need 2 combos.

2. Cirk

Cirk

May be a good idea to keep the GK if you can. Always nice to have a backup IMHO.

3. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I use a Carvin MB15 with the 15" extension cab. I run my fretless hog through an fdeck2 hpf first. Sounds great. Also play a Goldtone Microbass through this setup with great results.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Anything with high input impedance, or I use my RedDragon or BDDI in between. Some amps don't deal with the piezo pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Goldmember

Goldmember

Klaatu barada nikto!

For my spruce top U-Bass with Pahoehoe originals, I experimented with two different amps: a Fender Bassman TV Ten and an Ampeg Micro-CL 2x10. After much effort, I concluded that the 10 inch speakers in both are just not capable of reproducing the low end and subsonic frequencies of my U-Bass. Aside from completely cutting the low eq, I just was not able to reduce the distortion. I then tried a TC BG250 1x15, and found this to be the perfect amp for my U-Bass needs! It produces a very clear, distortion-free sound, without the need for a high-pass filter. The 1x15 remains tight and well-defined, with low eq remaining at flat setting.

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I'm currently using a GK 210 combo for my mahogany hollow body with good results. I tried various processors between the bass and the GK combo to maximize the kind of upright DB type tones you can get out of this little monster and to tame the finger noise inherent with this piezo pickup. Looks like I'll probably give the fdeck a try next.

No pic, no bass or amp, so...
    [​IMG]

8. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

Nice looking Dano next to the Ubass ! I had a black burst but I gave it to my granddaughter to learn on. Fantastic basses. Used to have two Jerry Jones Longhorns but foolishly sold them.

9. Webskipper

Webskipper Supporting Member

Is a bass preamp recommended for boosting the sound from the acoustic-electric ubass?

10. cleary

cleary

I've got a sadowsky outboard preamp between mine and my amp. I like what it does to my kala (acoustic/fretless) sound, and (at least to my ear) makes it a fairly amp agnostic setup :)

11. Webskipper

Ordered a Fishman ProBltBas bass preamp. A preamp is recommended in the acoustic ubass manual.

Got a good deal at full compass.

12. Webskipper

How do you like your Roland Cube Bass amp?

13. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Although I don't own a UBass I have test drove a few an am still looking for te right one before I actually buy. The one thing I've noticed is the low end can get out of control with them if you have the preamp bass boosted. I had my Fdeck HPF3 with me the last time I tried one out and it did wonders for the control and tone. It allowed me to really boost the low end but use the FDeck to "trim" the deepest stuff off to taste. It worked great. If recommend you look into a HPF3 before any more amp purchases.

14. FunkyReggae

FunkyReggae

For my Ubass (fretless acoustic mahogany) I use the same rig that I use with my "normal" bass (A 4 string Schecter Active Diamond Series)

It's an Ampeg SVT-410HLF Bass Cabinet run by an Ampeg Portaflex PF500 Bass Amplifier Head

And yes, it thumps - never had an issue with it farting out - and I turn the tweeter completely off and usually reduce the treble and some mids as well to really accentuate the bass and reduce finger noise

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the uBass is best played with a softer touch - I had to specifically alter my attack cuz I'm used to hitting my Schecter's strings much harder

15. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

The GK MB115 has a cooked in upper bass peak that helps convey a sense of bass weight, punch and added sensitivity, but which softens articulation. It cannot really be EQ'ed out. It's part of the tone you liked when you bought it. If you like the MB115's light weight, portability and amplifier, then you can get more articulation by replacing the stock 15 inch driver with a Dayton PA 310-8 (a 12 inch). Sims with the stock tuning suggest an f3 of 60Hz, f5 of 46 Hz, and no bass peak. It will handle all the power the amp can dish out, even with excessive bass boost.