What amp did Mccartney use in the 70s with Wings?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by southpaw723, Mar 19, 2014.

1. southpaw723

southpaw723

We all know about Vox in the 60s, but what amps did he use live in the 70s with Wings?
  2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

I think you'll find he used whatever was put in front of him to use.

"...some guy said, 'What kind of bass strings do you use, Paul?' I said, 'Long shiny ones.'

"I don't know the model names of basses," he laughs, "I don't know about amps, I don't know about serial numbers. People say to me, 'I've got a fantastic L35.' I say, 'Oh... yeah?' It could be a motorbike for all I know. I'm just not like that, you know? With us it was always just Vox, Hofner--I never really got into the analytical end of it."
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I think put behind him would be more accurate! :D

A little story that I always found amusing: Went to play a gig in a town in North Wales U.K. Setting up, I noticed some taped Xs on that stage. I was checking my amp out when the manager of the venue rushed up to me an told me I couldn't stand there. Puzzled, I looked down to see I was standing on one of the crosses. I asked why not and he replied "Paul McCartney stood there!" Even after forty odd years, I still get a tickle out of that!!! :)
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Take a look at the rockshow video (1976?) on youtube. The video was recently reissued. As I recall they had Fender and Marshall amps.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Ha, that is probably more accurate :p

Point still stands that if he didn't care or couldn't necessarily tell you what he was using, it really isn't that meaningful as information.

Cool story :bassist:
  7. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    The "Rock Show" video shows a line of amps slightly behind and off to Paul's left at an angle, and what look like Fender heads. Directly behind him are what look like bass cabs in a line but without heads. There's also left-handed Fender bass -- a Jazz, I think -- on a stand in to his left along with several guitars. There's a Marshall stack to his right that has a Fender head on it, but I suspect this is for Denny Laine's guitars. There are early rehearsal tapes of Wings on Youtube with Paul using a Fender head ans what looks like a bass bin with a center panel (like the Acoustic 360, but not that) under it. Of course this was in small room.