1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What amp do you recommend for a small-size room?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Praise and worship bassist here. Don't need a big combo amp or anything: I'm guessing 30W or even 75W should be MORE than enough.

I have a few I'm interested in

Fender Rumble 30 or 75 amp
    Ampeg - BA-112 - 1x12 Bass Combo
    Ampeg - BA-115 - 1x15 Bass Combo

OR should I just use my Tech 21 Programmable BDDI even though the speakers kinda suck? Is it kinda overkill using the BDDI in a small-room setting? I hazard a guess it could fit like 100 people comfortably..

2. Rob22315

Rob22315

Absent more details, I'd want 200W or more for playing live, even in small rooms. Relatively speaking, it takes a lot of instantaneous watts to generate the low frequencies that can keep up with a low power guitar or drum combo amp. You may be able to often meet your service's need with lower volume levels but having the extra power when the room is full or for the occasional foray to something larger will come in handy when you need it.

You haven't stated a spending limit so I recommend a GK MB200 or MB500 and a 1x12 cab or one of the separable combos built up from a combination like this. Used will get you the best value for your money.

There are a number of good threads about coffee house rigs, mini rigs (of doom), and micro rigs that are worth reading through as well. Here's one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/mini-rigs-doom-four-856038/

3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The little Ampeg combo bass amps are very nice, but I have a little G-K MB110 (1x10 combo) and I love it - so I recommend it. The bigger G-K MB series amps are sweet too.

[​IMG]
    Really compact and tiny: 14.5"H x 12.5"W x 11.5"D
    Ultra Lightweight: 21 lbs.
    Powerful: 100 Watts
    Affordable: $299.

And it has DI and Chain outputs too.

I also have a BDDI and its never overkill (use the volume knob) but as you said, it only sounds as good as the room and the speakers used - but that's true with all audio.

4. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Fudgcicles I forgot. Sorry.
    Spending limit is between. 200-500
    Nothing fancy because I don't wanna lug it every. Single. Time.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini

A quality small combo is definitely in your price range by a variety of manufactures. I picked up a used SWR Workingman's 10" that I am really fond of; plenty of punch for small rooms and enough power to add an extension speaker if needed.

7. 4001

8. cnltb

cnltb

Hevos "midget" is a REALLY nice one!

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Any amp with a volume control will work just fine, really, so long as it has sufficient power, say, no less than 150-200 watts RMS.

10. Linnin

Linnin

Fender Rumbles Sound GREAT!

I would recommend either the 75 or 150. Which ever suits your needs best. Here's my review of my Rumble 75. http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=72320

Also agree with Joe Louvar on the new GK combos +1 take your pick, as you can't go wrong.

11. RandomBox

RandomBox

The BA115 is nice. Just traded my BA108 plus cash for one. Can easily fill a room with bass.

12. DogBone

DogBone

Used Ampeg B100R.

I'm on the lookout for one locally myself, one of the original USA made "Rockets".

I find my current Ampeg BA210 is often too big, especially now that my Blues band has gone electric drums and our stage volume has dropped tremendously.

13. southpaw723

southpaw723

The Acoustic B100 and B200 are really good.

14. bccbass

bccbass