What amp have you sold that you now miss?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

For me it is the Mesa Boogie 400+ with their 410 cabinet. What a warm, full sound amp with tons of low end, power, and great looks. People like Paul McCartney and Duck Dunn were 400+ users.
    The Eq with the foot switch was an added bonus for more flexibility. It offered to me one of the best bass amp sounds I ever heard.

However the 98 pound cabinet was too heavy and size was too deep to easily fit in my car. The other issue was one of the tubes would go bad or micro phonic. Then I had to figure out which was the bad one and I had to replace the tube with a matched one from Mesa. They did offer a coupon on retubing the unit which was nice the first time I did it.

Now with having a much lighter Tone Hammer 500, I would not mind owning the 400+ again for just playing at home. I would stay with the Tone Hammer 500 for playing out as its soo much easier on the back. But for less headaches in many ways the Aguilar DB 751 may a better choice if i want a little smoother sound.

2. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

Several...had an Ashdown ABM500 and an Eden WT550. Both amps would still serve a great purpose if I still had them.

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Why did you sell them and why would you like them again? What made them special?

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Probably my Aguilar DB-359

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Yango

Yango

I'd have to say, my Fender Bassman 20. It was a great little all tube combo with a single 15. I gigged the hell out of it...everything cranked to 10. Like an idiot, I sold it for $250.00. It's not like it could ever outclass my Mesa Walkabout combo, but it would be cool to have it sitting in my livingroom as a practice amp. Oh well, live and learn.

...If I ever get a chance to pick another one up, I might just go for it for old time's sake.

7. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

8. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Acoustic Control Corp. 360/361. Would probably not use it, but it sure looked cool and had a "vibe" to it.

9. Honkycat

Honkycat

I had an early 70's SVT I maybe should have kept..but generally amps are somewhat replaceable.Basses though,...are a completely different story..a few big regrets.

10. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Mesa D-180. I thought it wouldn't do loud & clean enough for me... turns out it was just the right loud, and probably just the right dirty. :bawl:

11. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Ampeg SB-12. It was my first real amp, in the late '60s. Sold it because I needed something louder once I started gigging.

12. Bass Mayhem

Bass Mayhem

Eden WT400 Traveler and Eden WT800B, as well as my old Fender Twin Reverb and the world's most understated combo amp, the original creme coloured Roland Bass Cube 60.

13. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

sunn 2000s ...didnt like hauling around vintage gear and costly tube changes
    loved the tone

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

A 150W tube amp amp that I built in the late Seventies. Fondly known by the moniker "The Toaster". It's the most powerful tube amp I ever constructed. Built on a white enamelled 16 gauge steel chassis mounted in a head box covered in blue tolex with a slot on top to cool the six output tubes. Two channels each with volume, treble, middle and bass. Sold in the early eighties and, hopefully, residing somewhere in Ontario.

I made a mistake in the design and really want to correct it. My sense of pride in my work insists on it!

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Ampeg V4BH, SVT 6Pro, and B100R. Maybe the Mesa Buster 210 wedge for how it sounded, but not for moving it around.

16. OneWayPunk

OneWayPunk

Well, I miss a lot of the amps I sell, but I don't need as many amps as I end up with... People trade broken amps to me all the time for repair labor, I fix them up and then sell them.

Trace Elliot V6, I loved this amp, but it was overkill for my needs.

Sound City L200 converted to Hiwatt DR201 specs, I really loved this amp, and probably still would..but someone brought over a Sunn 2000s to see if I wanted to trade and that tone got me....it was hard to see the Sound City go, but I LOVE the Sunn.

Gibson Titan V. Also loved this head, sounded amazing for bass. Sold it to fund another Sunn purchase.

those are probably my top 3 that I regret selling.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Yorkville XS800! Best amp I ever owned.

18. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Ah. Easy one. My Furman PQ-3 preamp that I used in the late '70s in my funk band. It was one of the originals with the green enamel faceplate. Solid, clean, reliable, built like a tank.

19. dalkowski

dalkowski

Ampeg Blueline SVT
    Sunn Beta Bass combo
    Sunn Concert Bass Head

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Walter Woods Ultra. But I got a decent price for it.

21. snowblinder

snowblinder

I've owned two Ampeg V-4B's in the last ten years. Sold both. Wish I still had at least one, preferably the second one I had.