What Amp Head For Hartke 410XL Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bofink, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Bofink

Bofink

I'm thinking about buying an used Hartke 410XL and I wonder what amp head would go good with it! :)

2. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

Despite being a cheap cab that I've looked down on before, I had to borrow one from a friend a little while ago and enjoyed it so much it made me rethink my entire rig, so sounds like a good choice (it was the one with a mid driver in the middle, but I imagine they're pretty much the same cab). I also borrowed his Markbass LMII to go along with it, and I thought they were quite a good match. It was the only head I used with it, so I can't offer much in the way of a comparison, but I really enjoyed it.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Not a lot of info yer giving there on what you'd like regarding a head. Leaves this thread open to pretty much any head on the market :) So since ya doin that, I'm gonna say a Carvin BX500. Enough volume/power do drive that cab as far as it could be driven, and more versatility than any head or combo I ever owned. Weighs nothing, and the price is super sweet ($399). After owning lots and lots of heads, bottoms, and combos I never looked looked back after this purchase. Just in fact bought a 10" combo with pretty much the same head built in that I'm waitin on delivery for.

[​IMG]

4. Bofink

Bofink

Should also add that my budget is 500 at retail, will most likely hunt for an used one! :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Get a Harke LH-500 for $350 new. A great bass amp.

7. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I gotta say I love my Aguilar TH-350 with my XL cabs, ads a stunning warmth to the cabs, and makes the highs really sweet... At your budget you could go a TH-500 on the used market...

8. Cutty

Cutty

GK 800RB is the one you need to try,it's a great match with this cab.

9. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    That would be the traditional choice.

I use a kern ip777 pre with a stewart power amp and have had many a bassist ask if I would consider selling or trading my rig.

10. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

Hartke Lh500. Plug it in and you have a great tone.

11. MattyH

MattyH

Avid Hartke user here.

LH500
    LH1000 - If you want to add more cabs later (I use this head 3-4 times a week gigging all year. It's a beast.)
    HA3500 - My favorite head of all time
    HA5500 - My favorite head of all time with more power.

All of these can be EASILY bought brand new for $500.

No doubt, GK RB's and the Aggies are great choices too. I just personally hate mixing and matching.

Carvin - Hard to choose cause you can't really try them anywhere.
    MarkBass - Incredibly thin sounding IMO. A MarkBass through a Hartke aluminum (which I've done with the 410, the 4.5, and the hydride 410) gave me horrible results.

Go to a Sam Ash. They usually have all of these Hartkes in stock. Just plug them all in and try them out.

12. catgut

catgut

I like something tubey to warm the little sparkler up a bit. Also GK800RB was the OG match back in the day. I used Ampeg SVT 3 Pro a lot with the XL variant.

13. fabubass

fabubass

GK 700RB11 or Gk 1001RB11. I use them both (not at the same time)
    Awesome!

14. Bofink

Bofink

the Hartke LH500 or LH1000 seem interesting! and the LH500 only costs 350€ new! ;)

Still taking suggestions tho! :)

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Truth is, IMpretty experiencedO, you can't try any amp until you have it in a room with the band you're going to be playing with. Even more so with a head, because chances of being able to plug it into the bottom of your choice is slim. There are so many variables that go into creating the sound that "you" desire that it's really a game of doing your best research, then crossing your fingers and ordering something. Hopefully something that's easily returnable.

I've learned also that opinions here aren't worth a whole lot because we all play differently, we all hear differently, we all find different sounds appealing, we all define our "sound words" differently, play with different band settings, different eq on our bass, different strings, different technique... one persons growly is another persons punchy, one person's "wicked loud" is another person's "this don't even come close", and I could go on an on. There are so so so many things that go into creating a rig that'll work for one's personal desires. Plug a Jazz bass and Bongo into the same amp also, and there will be a world of difference.

I say do as much research as possible, and then get something you can return easily if necessary.

16. Bofink

Bofink

What's the difference between the Hartke LH (LH500) amps and the HA amps (HA3500)?

The HA3500 seem to have more features but less power? how about the sound? :)

17. Bofink

Bofink

Thanks for an insightful reply! I'll try to check the local music stores when I can :)

18. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

+1 Still using mine and love it!

19. Bofink

Bofink

I found someone selling the Hartke HA3500 for mere 220€, might just buy it! :)

How is the amp's built-in processor? is it any good? :)

/Bofink

20. LostInSauce

LostInSauce

+1 on the Carvin BX500. Get one brand spankin new for $399. Weighs FIVE WHOLE POUNDS!!! After lugging the Hartke 4x10 around (80+ pounds if memory serves) wouldn't a light bass head be a welcome addition?

That being said: I've owned several LH500's over the years and they are truly beast-like amps (Larry knows his biznezz).

Also mentioned above was Mark Bass heads; which I also found to be a little to sterile (perhaps even "tinny") when played through most cabs...not just Hartkes.

21. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I'm not a fan of the GK800RB + Hartke XL410B combination sonically -- a bit too 2-dimensional & plastic-y sounding for my tastes -- but I won't deny that it's a popular combination that works together reliably.

Personally I like an old-school Ampeg SVT or an Agular DB680 with a BigAssĀ® power amp du jour with an XL410B (or two), but since OP subsequently mentioned a $500 budget I don't think my suggestions are of any help! :)