What amp should I buy? Need help!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PandaXpress, Nov 18, 2012.

1. PandaXpress

PandaXpress

So I bought a Hartke 410TP for $125 a few days ago. This will be my first gigable rig. I am looking for an amp under $300

A few thatI have been looking at are:

TC Electronic BH250
    Hartke HA2500
    GK MB200

Eventually I will replace the cabinet but not for awhile.

Let me know which you guys would grab
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I hear good things about that GK. I have the MB500. It's a lot like the 200, but with a couple fewer knobs. A lot of guys with big expensive rigs seem to advocate the 200 for a backup amp.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

In order
    HA2500
    MB200
    BH250

Better yet a used G-K 400RB, 700RB I or II, Hartke HA3500 or Peavey head.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I've seen quite a few of these pairings over the years. The voicing of the GK complements that of the Hartke cab, moreso than the Hartke heads or so I've heard.

Riis
  5. El-Bob

El-Bob

+1

One of those GK heads (you can find used 400RB's for dirt cheap) paired with that cab you've got will make an absolutely monstrous rig. :bassist:
  6. arai

arai

TC Electronic BH250 hands down
  7. PandaXpress

PandaXpress

Used GK stuff is pretty rare in my area, actually anything besides amped is pretty rare. The TC is really intriguing to me, I like the tone script idea.
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

What area are you in? (BTW location is a easy thing to add to your profile and helps to answer your questions).
  9. El-Bob

El-Bob

Um. Not hands down. I'm sure it's a great amp, but so are the others the OP is considering.
    If the TC is the one that interests you the most, then I say go for it. I would still suggest that in spite of the ratings, you'll probably get much louder with any of GK's offerings. I have read around here that TC is known to exaggerate their power ratings, while experience tells me that GK does quite the opposite.
  10. ptpNYC

ptpNYC

I have the BH250 for studios and smaller gigs. While its plenty loud for my purposes (fusion/jazz, atmospheric instrumental), I think El-Bob is on track with tc's 250W not being the loudest 250 you'll hear. The Tone Print is pretty cool but, practically, I haven't found it all that useful outside of recording situations.