1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What amp to choose?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Mar 14, 2014.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I am in the market for a new bass head. This will be the first amp I have bought in 14 years. I am looking at the GK MB200 and the Carvin BX250 and/or others. This is the price range and wattage I want to stay at. I want a nice clean tone and I love the sound clips of both amps listed above, so at this point these are the top two amps for me. Let me know if any of you have these and your thoughts on sound and quality.

2. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

What kind of cabs are you going to run with?

4. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    That is the other part. I will be building a 1x10 Faital Pro 4ohm cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    This set up will be for in home/studio use. I do not jam or gig anymore.

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Either would be fine, but I might look to the GK for more color in your tone.

8. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    That is what I was thinking. The Carvin seems nice but very clean not really a signature tone/character. That could be a good thing if I want to use the apps in my iPad to produce the tone. Stuff like this drives me crazy. There is no real right or wrong answer and I am the most indecisive person you will meet.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

You can get a GK at Guitar Center and if you don't like it back she goes with Carvin everything goes back to Carvin for service and there are no service centers anywhere else.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

That is, of course, if something goes wrong with it. My Carvin equipment has been very reliable.

11. MyMusic

MyMusic

I am of the Carvin bias also. No problems with the gear and I love the way it sounds.

12. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Yeah the amp I am replacing is a Carvin R1000. This is what I have had for the past 14 years and it is a love hate but never an issue with it. Just the tone or lack of coloring is the thing I love and hate. Most of the love hate could also be do to the Cab i am running with it and the lack of crystal clear highs. I do love the amps that color the tone like GK, Ampeg and others but that is why I like the app based amps these days.

So which will be the more transparent of these 2 and good for running the apps through and getting the best reproduction of the apps tone? Also does the Carvin BX250's Drive knob give the amp any distortion when turned up?

13. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

If you like the baked in tone of the MB200 its an easy decision because the tone is already there. If you want a different tone you'll have to work with the somewhat limited EQ it has. OTOH, the BX250 starts with a clean slate and has very flexible and powerful EQ. You can dial in a wide verity of tones IF you are comfortable doing that. Some folks hate fiddling with knobs and just want to turn the amp on and have the tone they like right there. It's up to you. Both are good amps at that price point.

14. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together

Another amp famous for uncolored tone is the Markbass LittleMark. You can pick up a LM 250 Blackline for not too many dollars. I had one and loved it. Only reason I sold it was to move up to the LM II for more power when I started playing with a loud band.

15. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Someone wants to trade their genz Benz GBE 600 for my Carvin R1000. Does anyone know if this is a good trade and easy resale if I do not like it?

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    MB200 one thousand percent.

17. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    This is what I am thinking, just trying to make sure I do not over look anything. Thanks!