What amp with a SWR Henry 8X8?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 3, 2012.

1. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Gold Supporting Member

Just curious about what amps you all might have tried with a Henry 8X8 and what you would suggest. I am probably going to use it with my GK 700RBII and one of my preamps. But I can imagine it probably sounds fantastic with maybe an SWR Bass 550 or maybe an Eden WT400. What suggestions do you guys have?
  2. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

bump....bought 1 today and am also looking for some suggestions...
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    While I had that cab-and it's pretty nice!-I used and liked the oooold SWR Bass350 the most.
    I also used and like the Eden WT800.

I'd imagine the GK RB is probably a pretty decent fit as it brings a lot of mids and bark to the game, and the Henry is a bit scooped/hi-fi.

Be careful with the LeSon tweeter; it can blow relatively easily.
    Make sure it is, in fact, working, and then keep it relatively low.
  4. troy mcclure

Thanks Chef, I saw some of your posts...like the tug bar and will probably go that way.

I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 , a Markbass F1 or a Yorkville Bassmaster XS 400 I am going to try 1st.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I bet that Yorkville won't sound too bad through that cab but most likely you'll find the 9.0 will serve it best. Let us know what you find and what you like or didn't between them with that cab.
  7. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

I ran my Henry with a Mesa M6. I still think it was the best sounding rig, ever.

...and yes, the tweeter is useless...
  8. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    I disagree!
    I think the tweeter is useful; just a bit fragile.
    I really like the sheen it adds on top.

I stared at that for a long time thinking of what to do to make it better, and, in fact had a conversation or two with Don at Low Down Sound about it. We sort of decided that the best course of action, if you were going to tweak, would be to remove the top port tube, and re-set it into the rear, and claim that real estate for a bigger and more durable compression driver, or, mid driver like the Faital in the Baer ML112.

This was more work than I wanted to do.

One could also take out the LeSon and put two, or four of the Accugroove-type soft dome tweets there....
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I used one with a Eden WT400, sounded great.
  10. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

OP, I'm sure your GK will work great. I recently picked up an 800rb; while I haven't had the opportunity to run the Henry with it, I liked what it did to the Hartke cabs that make up my church's rig. FWIW, the 800rb could replace the Ampeg SVT6Pro that's powering the Hartke's - it's that loud.

Troy, did you pick yours up new or used? I bought mine from a TB member in Deland. Let me know what you find for a tug-bar as I have to hunch over to push or pull the thing and want to add one to mine too.

Chef, when I picked mine up I discovered that a previous owner had put a Fostex horn in it (did it nicely too with a plywood spacer and mounted it in the uppermost port). I removed it (better bass response?) and just replaced the tweeter with one from eBay cuz it was toast ($20). While I haven't used it enough yet, I think I'd like the compression driver better - but probably not enough to mod it. We'll see.

I do think the Henry is a little monster though, and it has cured my cab GAS for now.
  11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

I played one as a back line with a red face bass 350. Perfection. I still want one.
  12. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    I know: that's one of the all time classic rigs.
  13. Mtnman

Mtnman

I had an 8x8 for a while. I powered it with an SWR SM400S with a Sansamp in the loop for a little more of a wooley sound.
  14. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

Well OK, not useless...but pretty poor. That piezo is fine when competing with a speaker in a combo amp, but against 8 eights, it's just too much to ask of it.

I don't know if there's enough room, but this would be a fairly inexpensive, yet big improvement:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-532

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-604

If the APT-80 does fit, it's a threaded horn lense...so you could use a higher end tweeter if needed. This is the smallest lense available, I believe. It's 3.5''x3.5''. I think the Le Son is about 2.5''x2.5''...so it might just squeeze in.:)
  15. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

I had one and used it with a GK 800RB. Great combination.
  16. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Gold Supporting Member

Well I tried out this rig last night.... Alembic F1-X into my GK 700RB (using as a power amp) into the Henry....it was righteous.
    [​IMG]
  17. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Indeed. Righteous is the best adjective for this cab. :bassist:

[​IMG]
  18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

This works either as pictured OR with a Line 6 BassPODXTLive into the SansAmp.

[​IMG]

The settings shown are those used with the Line 6 in front of it all.
    The dbx is set to be almost inaudible with the gate active. It took about an hour of tweaking on the dbx using the dbx manual's "bass guitar" suggested setting as a starting point.
  19. troy mcclure

Mine arrived at the local GC for pickup. I take it home tomorrow when I have someone to help me shlep it out of the car.
  20. troy mcclure

I got my 8x8 and tried it with my 3 heads
    a Markbass F1, a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 and an old Yorkville Bassmaster xs400.
    I liked the Bassmaster best, the Markbass seemed sterile and Genz was good with some knob turning. I guess I am going heavier... up from an avatar 210neo and the F1 to 8x8 and the Yorkville, I went from a 45lb haul to 120lb haul but I think it sounds pretty good..will gig it next weekend and find out how it sits in the mix.
  21. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

That doesn't surprise me. I've tried out Traynor's 8x8 cab a number of times with the Dynabass 800 head (the big brother of the 400), and it has always sounded just fantastic to me. So, so punchy. I just wish the cab was lighter. :(