1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What are other ways musicians can make money?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by oniman7, Nov 6, 2012.

1. oniman7

oniman7

As many people as are on talkbass, I am floored by the number of people who think that playing in bands or as a studio bassist are the only two ways to make money. So I figured I'd start a thread talking about different ways for musicians to make a living. Perhaps this will help people who think they have to make it in an original rock band or play wedding gigs their whole life (although those are both viable options).

Here are a couple off the top of my head:

1. Performance - Original or cover band gigs can be at bars, parties, weddings, corporate events, etc. There are also jobs doing orchestral work or something like a play. I suppose busking could be considered as well.

2. Session work - Somebody pays you to go in and lay down bass tracks. I would also consider substituting gigs to be session work.

3. Education - can range from private lessons to public schooling, classical to rock guitar.

4. Composing - I am into video game composing and working on a mobile project right now. What made me start this thread was all the musicians that are on the same game development forum as me and how I have never heard anybody mention it as a legitimate pursuit on Talkbass. Of course, in addition to video game there is also composing for TV, Movies, radio, advertisements, just about anything with speakers.

5. Orchestrating/Conducting/Arranging - an art that I wish I knew more about. Somebody feel free to correct me or add info on this. This would be somebody who takes the songs, arranges them to the format desired for the specific gig, creates and distributes the material, and may also be tasked with organizing the members.

This is assuming direct involvement with creating the music on paper, computer, or instrument. For now I am leaving out technical arts such as live sound, recording, luthiery/repair, etc.

If anybody can contribute any or help give ideas of jobs within any of the above categories, please feel free to contribute. I have done a couple to get things going, but am by no means an expert.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Solo Bassist

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You forgot the 2 main sources of income for the gigging musician.
    Mc Donald's and Domino's Pizza.

Not sure if you realize that orchestration is an art of its own that takes years of study and experience to even become decent. If you master it you don't really bother with bass playing gigs anymore.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The future is in whatever you want it to be. Learn as much as you can about all facets of music from PA to production, be proactive about networking with others, be able to deliver the goods, but the biggest skill to have is being able to sell yourself to people who will hire you. That's the one skill I don't have, wouldn't you know it? ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Egbert89

Egbert89

If you're a drummer you can deliver pizzas!!!!

7. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician Supporting Member

Hahahahahahahahaha!

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Definitely consider audio engineering, both in live and studio situations. Not only can it provide additional avenues of income, it can also give you invaluable experience and insight when it comes to your own recording or performance, from a point of view you cannot get from the stage or playing side of the studio.
    You can also sell drugs or your body, but I don't recommend those things as you either end up in jail or get std's.

9. Darren Low

Darren Low

Lumberjack?

I mean, what else are axes used for? :bag:

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've been a technical advisor for shows, done music for a television series, several movies, corporate videos, websites and for radio and televison advertising. I've also run sound for bands.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  12. pklima

pklima

Things people I know personally actually do:

Running live sound
    DJing
    Live acts with DJs (though bass is probably the least useful instrument for this - you either want drums or something higher-pitched like violin or sax)
    Teaching
    Managing a troupe of bodypainted dancers
    Touring with a circus

13. wrench45us

wrench45us

touring with a circus

I sat near the circus band on a recent tour and those pl;ayers were first rate -- they could play with anybody.

don't forget the dreaded cruise ship gigs

14. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

play in a military band.

work for a booking agency.

15. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Over here, many musicians tend to gravitate towards a 7-11 for all their consumption as well as employment needs.

16. Russell L

Russell L

Sheet music transcription (writing parts, basically, or even scores by hand), if you have a good hand at calligraphy. I've made a little doing it, but it is tedious work.

Music store clerk, if ya can find a job.

I also did private lessons for awhile. A real PITA, IMO.

Or, just get any day job. Then, supplement it with weekend gigs. That's what most of us do. Or join the local union and hope you get calls for whatever.

17. pklima

pklima

In Poland this is a more common service than in most countries. Nice-looking charts in standard notation are required to copyright a song here, so the main customers are probably bands without the musical literacy, calligraphy or notation software skills to produce an acceptable chart - vocal line plus piano reduction plus lyrics is the minimum. The keyboardist of an originals band I used to play in struggled through this in Sibelius with some help from me, but it took him a couple of weeks and annoyed him to no end. So, yeah, I can see this being very tedious.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

What are other ways musicians can make money?

------------------------------------------------------

A DAY JOB!!!!

When it became obvious to me as a young man that most musicians don't get rich playing music. I pursued a college degree and a professional career and kept playing music for fun.

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I hear there's a bountiful reward for bringing in the headstock of the fabled Mothman bass.

20. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Media:
    Alive or dead.
    Its revered.by alchemists for its best-for-metal properties

21. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sell drugs to people at the gigs...not me seen it before thou.