1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

What are some basses made with a piezo pickup and a magnetic pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stephen3547, Mar 9, 2014.

1. The only ones I can think of are some of the Music Man basses. I'm looking for one that would be under $1500

2. Wagz

Wagz

May 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    There are some hollow-bodies that have both - Washburn AB90, Epiphone Zenith.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. The Godin A4 Ultra looks nice. Has anyone tried the fretted version? Does anyone have any sound clips of the fretted version?

5. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Carvin offers it. Sounds pretty good, blends well.

6. Steinberger Synapse Series also combines magnetic and piezo pickups.

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Spector makes the Spectorcore simi hollowbody with a magnetic and piezo combination. They sound fantastic. Here's a YouTube clip of one in action...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpwaFrXsRLc

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    Groom Lake, NV
    Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yamaha TRB5P-II. F Bass Alain Caron. A used TRB5P-II may fall in your price range. The F Bass? No.

The tone of the TRB5P-II is outrageously superb. Be prepared to roll off a little treble when you engage the piezo pickups, though.

9. Tommy Nat

Tommy Nat Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Also the original trb5p had the piezo. Much cheaper than the trb5pii's in the used market, and has a pj config for the regular pups.

The fender mim power jazz bass also comes to mind, great bass for the money if you can grab one

10. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The now-discontinued Ibanez Ergodyne EDA models had the magnetic+piezo combination: the EDA900 (4-string) and the EDA905 (5-string). If you don’t mind the avante garde body styling, these basses can be had on the pre-owned market all day long for under half your budget.

There has also been some discussion here about the current-issue Ibanez Portamento fretless models: the SRF700 (4-string) and SRF705 (5-string). I’ve yet to play one myself, but they appear to be a very affordable way to test-drive the magnetic+piezo combination without breaking the bank.

11. Tune Maurizio Rolli signature; discontinued and an excellent bass. Chambered body, light but well balanced. Here in Italy you can find it used in 5 and 6 strings version at around 600 euro

12. I want one sooooo much. Dam.

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had a Carvin LB 75 that had a piezo.

14. hardtwister

hardtwister

Jan 1, 2013
    Fender Precision A/E. Made in late 80's - early 90's.

15. warrplayer

warrplayer Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
  16. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Pacific NW
    The MTD 435 Vector 2 prototype which I have in my hands at present (thanks Brad!). Cops a very creditable upright sound from the piezo and the Bartolini soapbar has a very decent P'ish sound. Apparently a Tobias/Steinberger collaboration. Wonderful bass.