1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What are some good free multi-track recording apps out there?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by southpaw723, Apr 10, 2014.

1. southpaw723

southpaw723

Four track is cool but an eight track would be prime.

2. nick98338

nick98338

Reaper works pretty darn good in Windows, too.

3. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

Yeah I love Reaper and I could buy something else if I wanted to.

4. zachoff

zachoff

Rember, guys... Reaper isn't free. :smug:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marial

Marial They make pills for that, right? Gold Supporting Member

No, but it's definitely the cheapest option for a good DAW available. By comparison, it might as well be free.

7. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

Yeah, I paid for my license happily. I never found a free option that was any good. I would guess garage band is the only thing close.

8. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

+1 on Audacity. Not the most intuitive, but can get the job done. Just takes a little reading up.

9. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Audacity. Not the most powerful app in the world but if you get to know all of it's features and use it to its maximum capabilities, you can actually do some pretty polished stuff with it.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Reaper is free to evaluate ... but is not free. It's worth every penny you'll pay, though.

11. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

What interface do you have?

Most interfaces come with some light version of a DAW. They all can work fine for a low number of tracks. Some of the interfaces come with full versions of a DAW.

It you already have a good interface Reaper is a good place to start.

13. chungweishan

chungweishan

I use Reaper when I want to use VSTs.

I use Presonus Studio One Free because I prefer the interface when composing MIDI. The free version can't use VSTs, but it has enough effects to get by. It works really well with Soundfonts using its own soundfont-player.

And I use Audacity when I want to quickly audio-record something although I know it's more powerful than that.

14. mapadofu

mapadofu

15. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

I never really got Ardour to run smoothly. It always seemed to take tweaking and then would either crash or had little clicks and pops here and there. Seemed like a clock issue. To be fair, I last tried it about 5 years ago.

16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Yes, it even does VSTs.

17. chungweishan

chungweishan

Studio One Free? As far as I know, it doesn't. The demo and paid versions might. If I wanted to use a third-party VSTs like Guitar Rig 5, I'll need to use another DAW, as they don't show up on my Effects List.

18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

I used to use Cubase and Logic before, and I prefer Reaper as well as it being cheaper.

In terms of Audacity I am not sure what the ASIO support is like. It's fine for recording just basic audio like a 4 track, though, and you can apply some basic effects, but you have to let it render the effect, listen, and then undo and reapply if, say, you need more reverb. Or you can apply it to all tracks.

On Reaper you can use the included reverb (or impulse convolution option) and set up a reverb channel and just push a little of each track into that, in a way much more like send/receive on a four track which. You can adjust the amount of reverb in real time so it's quicker to work with and using a reverb channel in that way is the way things used to be done so can lead to a more familiar type of sound.

19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

On Mac or Linux? It was still less than ideal on Linux a year ago. So I see no need for me to move from Windows and Reaper

20. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

On Linux. My profession keeps me on Windows at this point and I also don't see any reason to leave Windows and Reaper.

21. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

That makes support for Windows VSTs easier than using wine. Wine can sometimes be enough to drive you to drink.