What are some good fretless bass songs.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Reg, Oct 12, 2000.

1. Reg

Reg

Does anyone know some good fretless bass songs? Any style, Any Artist,

I just started playing fretless and i am interested learning lotsa syles on this instrument.

Cheers

Reg
  2. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

Hey Reg,
    Check out the Don Henley stuff with Pino Palladino on it, like "New York Minute." Also, Henley's "Boys of Summer" is a cool line.. that was Larry Klein on bass, and I'm pretty sure it was fretless. Then there's Paul Simon's "Graceland" album, with Bakithi Kumalo on fretless. I'm probably overlooking a lot of stuff, but those are some good pop music examples.
  3. Acacia

Acacia

Check out anything with Steve DiGiorgio on it. HE's a fantastic metal fretless player.

By band Chronological order

Sadus:
    Illusions (Chemical Exposure) 88
    Swallowed In Black 90
    A Vision Of Misery 92
    Elements Of Anger 97

Autopsy:
    Severed Survival 89
    Fiend For Blood 91

Death:
    Human 91
    Individual Thought Patterns 93

Control Denied:
    The Fragile Art Of Existence 99

Testament:
    The Gathering 99

James Murphy:
    Feeding The Machine 98

4. Bassin'

Bassin'

Any recordings with Jaco Pastorious!:D

I especially like Heavy Weather by Weather Report.
    Jay Mastro likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Some of my favorite recordings w/ fretless are... <drum roll>

Jazz/Fusion-
    Marcus Miller - The Sun Don't Lie
    Jaco Pastorius - Solo album and Weather Report's Heavy Weather
    Pat Metheny- Bright Size Life (Jaco Pastorius on bass)
    Alain Caron- Rhythm n' Jazz or the self-titled "Le Band" CD.

Rock/Alternative-
    Pearl Jam- Ten (Jeff Ament has some awesome fretless stuff on this album. Notable tracks are "Alive", "Oceans", and the opening and closing instrumental bits on the CD.)
    Hootie & the Blowfish- Cracked Rear View (Dean Felber contributes some great fretless work on a lot of these tune. Probably the most popular example is "Let Her Cry".)

Of course there are TONS of others, but these stuck out in my mind.

Keep grooving....
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Since you used the term "songs", I'm assuming you want music with vocals, so here goes:

For some great Pino Palladino work, check out Paul Young's first album, the one with "Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home". He also played on Chris de Burgh's "The Lady in Red" and is probably on other tracks too. I think The Police's "Every Little thing..." is also played on fretless. Finaly, Check out the bands Brand X and Japan. Their bassists, (Percy Jones and Mick Karn, respectively) are considered two of the most original fretless voices on bass to date, and they definitely don't sound like Jaco!

Will C.:cool:
  8. JimK

JimK

In a Pop environment, more Pino stuff would include his playing with Go West.
    I'm not sure who played the fretless bass on Don Henley's "Sunset Grill"...was that Pino or Larry Klein?

FWIW-
    "Walking On The Moon"(The Police)
    "Man In A Suitcase"(The Police)
    "Englishman In New York"(Sting)
    "Be Still My Beating Heart"(Sting)
    ...all sound killer on fretless(at least in my shed).

ANYTHING by Gary Willis!
    ...Mark Egan is also tasty(I heard a rumor that the Jaco tribute cd, WHO LOVES YA, has been released DOMESTICALLY in the US; some very happenin' fretless work by Mr. Egan on that one!).
  9. CS

CS

Somebody up there likes you-Simple Minds
    Boy in the bubble-Paul Simon
    Second that emotion-Japan
    Ideal world-Christians
    Rise-PIL
  10. jaco, jaco, jaco..
  11. cole

cole

"Hey You" by Pink Floyd. simple, but cool.
  12. phil_chew

phil_chew

Fretless bass seems to sound sweetest on slow numbers. For e.g.:

Lady in Red - Chris De Burgh
    Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
    Every Time You Go Away - Paul Young

I don't know who played bass on these recordings.
  13. Stingray5

Stingray5

Aw man! You beat me to it! That's what I was gonna say! :D

Great bassline on that tune. More difficult than it sounds, too.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

I saw the Police live in my home town at about the time "Walking on the Moon" was released and Sting was playing a fretted Fender bass. He did move on to a fretless Ibanez Musician bass later on, but then started playing a fretted Spector towards the end of the Police when they played all the hits. I think the point is that all Sting's songs could be played on either fretted or fretless bass - it's not a particular requirement in the way that Pino Palladino's lines are - apart from "Wherever I Lay my hat" I also really liked his bass playing on the Paul Young single "Tear your Playhouse Down" which has a short bass solo ! ;)
    Pino also played on the "Christians" albums and singles, with some great lines.

Mick Karn has been recommended and the best "Japan" album to hear his playing on, is "Tin Drum" - I spent ages in the 80s when I played fretless, getting all these basslines down!
  15. JimK

JimK

1 & 3=Pino Pallendino
    2=Nathan East

Bruce-
    I have the BRING ON THE NIGHT video & Sting's playing "Walking On The Moon" on an EUB. I do agree w/ you about Sting's tunes(the early ones, anyway)...they lend themselves very nicely to different interpretions.

On "Tear Your Playhouse Down"-
    PP is using a Boss Octaver, right? I seem to recall him using that pedal a lot...and yet another post where you mention "SOLO"! :D
  16. MM

MM

Yeah, he used the Boss Octaver on "Tear Your Playhouse Down". I read an interview with him awhile back and he said he uses that pedal a lot. I went right out and got one to use when I played fretless because I like Pino's sound so much. It really did sound cool. Hmmm....what did I do with that pedal anyway? :confused:
  17. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Bob off of Primus's Pork Soda is good...played on a 6 string frettless
  18. Funkster

Funkster

For some hard rock fretless check out both Blue Murder CD's Toney Franklin is one of the best fretless players out there, The band is John Sykes guitar&vocals, Carmine Appice drums, Tony Franklin bass.
    For Tony's lighter side pick up any of the Firm CD's he does some great work with Jimmy Page and Paul Rogers.
  19. bassdude

bassdude Guest

Beaumont. California. Riverside County, U.S.A.
    Check out Mark Egan and Bunny Brunell.
  20. Slaphappy

Slaphappy

I don't think Pino on "Sunset Grill" by Don Henley has been specifically mentioned yet...one of the great fretless pop tunes. Pino is also the bassist for every song on Elton John's "The One", which is one of his best albums.

Also, Mark Egan on Sophie B Hawkins first album, the one with "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover" on it...he does some really tasty fretless on that album, every song.

"Every Time You Go Away" by Pino/Paul Young rules, you guys are right about that.

Also, a much lesser known Pino album that's great is David Gilmour's solo album, "About Face". It's only 9.50 over at cdnow.com. Good music.

"Stand Beside Me" from Kansas' "In The Spirit of Things" album has some great fretless, too. Another great album no-one knows about :)
  21. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Jason Newsted(Metallica) plays fretless in Until It Sleeps.Beautiful bassline.