1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What are some good warm up Exerisese?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Jan 28, 2014.

1. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Reason back in school as I remember we take at least 15 minutes to warm up our wrists (this is in drumline at least). Am thinking about doing this before every time I play my bass or guitar. Have any Ideas besides going over scales? I guess am trying to get warmed up faster so I do not have to take a brake from playing in mid song.
  2. Jensby design

Jensby design

I start out by stretching my shoulders (to increase blood flow) then my wrist, hand make fists and stretch.

Left hand I put the back of the neck between fingers, touching fingerboard with fingertips, then squeeze stretching fingers apart.

Right hand rapidly move fingers.

Then about 30 seconds play the bass itself, before turning up the volume (don't let them hear you suck).

The whole process takes about 3-10 minute (longer in the morning :rolleyes: I know I'm old)
  3. fearceol

fearceol

4. Reddog01

Reddog01

I took a lesson the other day, and the teacher suggested that I play chromatic scales to help stretch out my fingers. He suggested that I do that for 5 to 10 minutes. That sounded like a long time to me, but I gave it a try. I found that, indeed my fingers did get warmed-up and stretched, and that I started playing much cleaner. While I am running the chromatics, I pay attention to my left thumb placement, and also pay attention to my alternating picking in my right hand. I usual start slowly and then increase my speed. Some times I use a metronome. I then spend some time playing major and minor scales, continuing to pay attention to my left thumb placement and my alternating right hand picking.
  5. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

I learned classical guitar for a while and there some really useful exercises. You might find this finger per fret chromatic exercise useful for left hand warm up (1 is index finger, 4 is pinky):

Start the exercise up near the 12th fret - any string:

Move your hand down one fret and repeat. As you move down the spacing gets wider and a bit more challenging. Its a great exercise for finger independence, speed and dexterity.
  6. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right. Supporting Member

Scales, with metronome, 15-20 minutes, daily. "No pain, no gain."

Sad, but true.:(
  7. Jensby design

Jensby design

Dude, watch TV when you do that, half an hour goes by before you know it.
  8. bassteban

bassteban

If I have time I'll beat on hand drums for a few before grabbing the bass
  9. thewildest

thewildest Supporting Member

Warm up "Exerisese"? I have never tried them, but given their high caloric content I am positive that mixed with egg, pepper, sugar and vodka they will warm you up.
  10. Jensby design

Jensby design

^well played!
  11. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Under the theory that I have limited time and everything I do should be, or sound like music I just do a slow blues progression before starting on the session's actual goals
  12. Mushroo

Mushroo

If you learn technique that doesn't hurt your hands, then you don't need to warm up.

Just a thought...
  13. fearceol

fearceol

I disagree. They are two different things. No matter how good your technique is, if you dive headlong into into fast complex playing from the start, without warming up first, you greatly increase your chances of getting cramp...or possibly even injury.
  14. Mushroo

Mushroo

Maybe that's my secret then, I don't "dive headlong into into fast complex playing from the start." :)

Most bass players are just groovin' which should be 100% pain and tension free. Electric bass is (arguably) among the most physically easy to play of all instruments.
  15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I would suggest the 24 ways of 4, which is kind of what vin*tone suggests, except I would suggest doing it at the first position. Basically you would do 1234-1243-1324-1342-1423-1432, then do it starting on the 2nd finger, 3rd finger, and 4th finger. I find this exercise works great on a 6er. Ensure to keep all fingers down on the fretboard whenever possible.
  16. Mushroo

Mushroo

This is the version of the "permutations" exercise I learned as well, I find it to be the more thorough method.

Except I don't use much 3rd finger these days (maybe those of you who are having hand pain, that's your problem? also make sure you don't "pivot" with your thumb!) so my version of the exercise looks more like: 124-142-214-241-412-421 ;)
  17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I only use warm up exercises before gigs. And I start by doing stretches similar to the videos posted above. Then I do some exercises on the bass similar to the ones in the Bass Fitness book (lots of chromatic runs). I have found that the stretching really help me, but YMMV.
  18. pfox14

pfox14

Scales and arpeggios.
  19. fearceol

fearceol

I would prefer to err on the side of caution and warm up. It only takes a minute or two. Time well spent IMO.

Yes, groovin' should be 100% pain free, but the amount of threads here on TB from people suffering from all kinds of physical problems, would say different.
  20. KipperWakz

KipperWakz

The best warm up exercise... Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin. Warm up by jamming to the song up until the drum solo.