What are the best Bass Vi strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MattzBass, Apr 8, 2014.

1. MattzBass

MattzBass

I have a Fender MIJ Bass Vi and the low E string is to big and it buzzes and sounds horrible. So what company company/gauge would you recommend?
  2. autotech6506

autotech6506

I recommend that you take it to someone who can do a good setup on it. that will probably take care of the buzz.
  3. Slap_N_Slide

Slap_N_Slide

+1

I agree

If you are not completely confident adjusting string height, neck relief and intonation. Find a good luthier who will set it up for you.

I gather you have changed your strings for a heavier gauge and not adjusted the bass setup to compensate for the heavier strings.

You could just go back to your old gauge if you want to avoid a luthier visit.
  4. MattzBass

MattzBass

Thanks for the advice guys, they are actually stock strings and because of the gauge, the E string does not I as good as I want them to sound.

I think I should take to a luthier though
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. captdusty

captdusty

No, Mattz, the stock strings with their puny .084 or whatever for a low-e aren't likely to sound all that great regardless of setup. There have been a couple of threads here discussing the issue, but my short answer would be to go with La Bella. You can get their standard sets (.095 on the bottom) in flat or round wound from places like Bassstringsonline .

Or you can go to La Bella's site and create your own custom gauge sets in nickel or stainless for even less than one might pay for the standards. Others swear by CircleK, who also let you make your own custom sets.