1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What are the fattest J bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

I'm looking for a set of super fat, thick, warm, dark, mellow, smooth, organic, and deep J bass pickups to put in my SX J bass. I'm not looking for grind or aggression, sizzle or shine. Here are some pickups I think might get me there:

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz
    DiMarzio Model J
    Seymour Duncan SJB-2
    Bartolini 9J1

Thanks!

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

The fattest I've heard are Nordstrand Fat Stacks, but obviously they aren't drop in replacements for standard Jazz pickups.

That said, I would add the Nordy NJ4's to your list.

I'd also think the SD Antiquity would be better than the SJB-2s.

I haven't tried them myself, but Lindy Fralins get a lot of love too.

3. Stereo Joe

Stereo Joe Supporting Member

I think the Model J's would be what you're looking for. I had them in a jazz bass for a short while and they are the deepest, thickest sounding 'J' pickups I've ever used. I was not too thrilled because I like the more classic jazz sound, but based on what you're looking for, they would probably be perfect for you!

4. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

How would you describe this tone?

I love it and want it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. newbold

newbold

Wish they made the model J in a 5 string version.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

That is the epitome of the active jazz/modern jazz/super jazz or whatever you want to call it. There are quite a few pickups that would work (Sadowsky, Nordstrand etc), generally active with a preamp and using SS roundwounds.

It's also a tone that I would guess is on the other side of jazz tones relative to what the OP is looking for.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

9. Oric

Oric

Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs are ridiculously fat, it's like putting a pair of truck nuts on your bass.

10. JonesKY

JonesKY

Ditto! Tough to go wrong with the Dimarzio Model J for fat. Great price, too, and humbucking! Everyone ought to have at least one 'fat' bass.

11. Lackey

Lackey

LOVE the Model J's - phenomenal pickup, sounds great solo and is amazing for cutting through a mix. Really a bargain too, especially now with a lot of these warmed over boutique pickups going for (IMO) ridiculous prices. I know they sound good, but so do a lot of other non boutique pickups as well.

12. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

You have just described Villex pickups. They offer that and whole lot more

www.villex.com

13. fuNKmaster83

fuNKmaster83

the fattest in my oppinion are aero as far as single coils go... but dimarzio and schaller make humbucking js so the y should sound fatter than normal single col j

14. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Thanks for the opinions guys! But no love for the ultra jazz or barts?

I have a set of NJ4s and I'm definitely looking for more fatness and thickness.
    The Model Js are definitely a top contender! Bonus: those sweet cream covers.
    Those look awesome but I'm not looking to spend more than $100-120.

15. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

16. The Shredbaron

The Shredbaron

I have Ultra J's in my '07 Highway One, along with an Audere JZ-3 preamp.

Had it out to a jam last week, everyone was freaking out about how great it sounded (in all three "Z-modes").

Between being able to blend the pickups in any ratio, have complete hum-cancelling if you go 100% one way or the other, and change the capacitance with the "Z-switch" you can go from earth-shattering low end to bright slap tone - and that's without even getting into the High/Mid/Low EQ cut/boost.

I'm super-thrilled with this bass and the tone, just love the pickups. My buddy has Model Js in his bass, they sound awesome too.

Personally I think the DiMarzios will get you there and do it inexpensively.

17. noahw1

noahw1 Supporting Member

Doesn't the bassist for Jamiriquai use a P-Bass on some songs? The Live From Abbey Road videos show him using a P for one tune and a J for slapping.
    Also, Ben Kenney for Incubus uses flatwounds.
    Have you tried using flatwounds to find that fat sound you're looking for?

18. rdwoody1

rdwoody1

I agree with the Antiquity IIs. I have a set of those in my Jazz bass and I love them. I never knew a pickup change could make that big of a difference in my bass tone. Absolutely awesome!

19. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I put some of the SCN Noiseless Fender Pups in my jazz, and they sound great, quiet and very fat compared with the stock Pups.

20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

In my 5 string testing the fralins were the fattest, though I didn't have any dimarzios to test since they don't make them the right size.

Overall though, swapping J pickups doesn't change your final tone all that much. It is really fine tuning.

21. Jim C

Jim C

I've tried Lawrence, Lace Sensor, and Model J's

Model J's were the fatest and record very well; they aren't as articulate or detailed although not so sure that super warm and fat can be all things.