1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

what are the most "dynamic" dirt pedals out there (fuzz/overdrive/distortion)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Feb 4, 2014.

1. fasto

fasto

i already own the "Catalinbread SFT" pedal and love it because of its dynamic behavior ... what are similar or other distortion, fuzz, overdrive pedals where i could still change the amount of dirt depending on how hard i hit the strings?

(edit: i play both active & passive basses in normal & c-standard tuning)

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Empress Multidrive
    MojoHand BMP-1

3. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

I've heard that the OCD does this. I've never tried one but that's the rave about. Very dynamic.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

I'll give this a +1. Mainly due to the fact that it reacts to how hard you play and your volume level on your instrument. I just love the way it sounds, very, IMO, distinctive and full of character. Some may not see it that way, but I do. Also, the Brimstone Audio XD1 crossover dist. You want to talk about a dynamic dist pedal, well this pedal embodies that. You can get all kinds sounds from tube OD crunch to heavy dist. And it never loses its bottom, unless you want it to. There are a TON of sounds and settings in this big boy. I'll also add the B7K. Although its not a dist pedal to me, it has the option to be one with a lot of EQ options. So to me, its very dynamic and versatile. Those are my tops.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner at MetalString Sound, Inc.
    I highly recommend checking out the smallsound/bigsound Mini overdrive.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    hmmm. most guitarists don't find the OCD to be very dynamic (and I agree with them). IME, the BJFE honey drive and the wampler paisley drive are some of the most dynamic OD pedals that I've played thru to date.

8. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Fuzzrocious Dark Driving

9. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

The OCD is very dynamic with passive instruments. With active however, it's just a killer distortion box. Having owned one for several years now...

10. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

I personally found the OCD to be one of least dynamic and pleasant sounding od/dist that I've tried. The Wampler Euphoria is amazing sounding, responsive to playing technique and has a three position voice switch for tonal variety. It, along with the Darkglass B3K are my two favorite analogue overdrive pedals.

11. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

A z vex wooly mammoth with the right settings can be very sensitive to how hard you play.

12. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Just goes to show you, it's all relative. One mans holy grail is another's storage locker.

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    well, I like the sound of OCD's, I just don't find them to be very dynamic.

14. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Dynamic can mean different things.

A) Output volume changes with instrument volume/playing
    B) Gain level changes with instrument volume/playing
    C) All of the above

It's important to note that a clean blend, the amplifier, other effects can affect how A and B in the list above may or may not perform for the pedal under test.

For example, set the effect under test to have a clean blend and immediately A will occur since the clean signal is not affected and retains all of it's original dynamics. The clean blend dynamics can also affect your amplifier's dynamics and gain, particularly for tube amps or other amps that can impart audible gain. This is the case with the Way Huge Pork Loin, most bass players use a lot of clean blend and claim it's "dynamic" but in fact the Pork Loin's gain (B in the above list) is static and not dynamic at all, based on my testing.

The SFT is a good example of dynamic gain, B in the list above. They did a great job with that. A lot of newer digital drive "tube" or "natural overdrive" effects also do a decent job with dynamic gain.

15. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

I used to own the SFT (and liked it) so I get what you mean. I find the Amptweaker Bass Tightfuzz to be very dynamic at some settings...if I play lightly, it's clean; if I play hard, I've got fuzz.

16. sunbrother

sunbrother

Haha, wooly mammoth.

Wampler euphoria is right up your alley, although the gain has a character to it.

17. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    I find the Brimstone XD-1 to be exceptionally dynamic and that's compared to many other dirt pedals I've tried/own.

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd love to check out an xd-1.

19. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

The 3Leaf Audio You're Doom is very dynamic - it changes from a more reserved and smoother fuzz sound, to stabs of fuzzy, synthy goodness when you dig in.

20. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

+1 to the Fuzzrocious Dark Driving!

21. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

The Fairfield Barbershop is very touch responsive. And the BJEF Blueberry too. Even at relatively high gain settings it really cleans up with lighter touch and snarls when you dig in.