1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What are you guys using to interface

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gabriel51, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Gabriel51

Gabriel51 Supporting Member

What are you guys using to interface your bass and Windows 7 X64.
    Some units I have tried simply don't work correctly.
    Thanks
  2. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

I'm having a hard time understanding your question.

Are you looking for recommendations on an Interface (turning the analog instrument into a digital file) or a DAW (being able to manipulate the digital file)???
  3. Gabriel51

I'm looking for a way to record my bass.
    What interface and software seems to be popular that functions correctly in windows 7 x64
  4. goldenglory18

You should be able to use any of the major brands with Windows. It's probably a driver issue that you are running into, and now that Win 8 is coming out, I would think the driver libraries for the interface vendors will be updated VERY soon.

Are their any specific features you are looking for? How about Firewire vs USB? Someone has a Focusrite Saffire in the classifies section for only $100. IMO, that's a STEAL of a deal.....
  5. Gabriel51

I have a M-audio fast track 2 but it's not working with windows 7 X64, and I read it's near if not impossible to get it to work on this system.
    I'm loading windows XP on a spare drive just to see if I can get it to work, i have been unable to get this thing to work right since March and I have tried it on three different computers, all running W7 X64.
  6. goldenglory18

I just spent the last 15 minutes searching for this product in the M-Audio support page and I can't find ANYTHING that references "M-audio fast track 2."

Have you tried to contact M-Audio directly for support?
  7. Gabriel51

Yes I did, and they never responded, revealing.
    Since I posted this I installed XP on a spare hard drive and it still did not work, so I think it's the motherboard on my music server.
    It works as far as accepting the drivers and you can see it working through "sounds" in the control panel but it has trouble communicating with the software (Pro tracks and reaper), so it must be a hardware problem in my computer and not the fast track unit itself.
    Here is what the unit looks like.

[​IMG]
  8. goldenglory18

Jeez, sorry to hear that.

I'm thinking at this point it might be a worthy investment to upgrade to another unit...
  9. Gabriel51

Well, I really just wanted to do just a little recording, these things are 100 bucks and should work however my experience using USB to do anything with sound has always been less than stellar.
    I'm thinking I could get a small mixer and use the AUX input on my sound card and do it that way.
    That's why I started this thread so I could get some ideas, thanks...
  10. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Windows 7 (and now 8) both have this irritating issue with USB devices like phones and I'm guessing the Fast Track interface as well. Sometimes you have to turn off the power, physically unplug the power cable and wait for a few seconds to plug in to get the thing working.
    But I'm wondering if your issue might be a clash between Windows and your DAW for control of the Fast Track device. Try disabling it from being used by Windows. Ideally, only your recording software should be able to access it. You can do this within system sounds from the control panel, make sure that the Fast Track is not the default device when Windows starts up. Also, only turn on the device *after* Windows has booted up and you're planning to record.
    Keep us posted, hope you solve the issue. Peace.

- Jimmy Rage
  11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

I'm using a Presonus Audiobox USB on my Win 7 PC, but it's 32-bit. When we first got our current PC (11/2009), Presonus didn't have a Win 7 driver for it, but a week later they came out with it. I downloaded it from their site, and that driver is for both 32- and 64-bit Windows 7.
  12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

XP has seemed to be the most reliable and universal for home recording.

Lexicon Omega... Motu... Alesis... Yamaha all in my stable... they're hit/miss if they're working on newest windows.

In all sincerity, for 90% of what I've recorded, the average person on quality headphones can't tell the difference between the table top lexicon and the upper end motu, presonus etc.'

I have a ton of sofware... much of the wav creating is most efficiently done in Audacity.

==

There is a forum specifically for home recording (not this one)

----

Through the years I've learned that the sound companies lag the operating systems by 12 months or so --- makes sense to be a late adopting this stuff.
  13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

If it helps I can send samples of a Trident S80.... Presonus... Motu.. Lexicon... Alesis... chances are you'd not be able to match up which recordings were with cheap software and interfaces.
  14. Gabriel51

It's lagging by more than a few months! it's a few years, windows 7 arrived in retail form in 2009.
    I have pro tools 10 (not a cheap piece of software) also
    I have Reaper, Audacity, and Pro tools LE plus a couple of others because I have been working on this since March off and on trying different software and drivers such as asio4all.
    It to me is not a software problem, it's the driver interface link that appears to be the problem because it won't run on on XP 32 bit either on this computer which is far from being a slouch. (EVGA MB Intel Quad core, 4 gigs of Ram.)
    But I'm not here asking how try to fix my problem as such, though I do appreciate the input because I could have overlooked something for sure.
    I'm looking for alternatives to accomplish the same thing, if such a method exists.
  15. shandra

shandra

fastrack should be fine on win 7 64 i have an older fastrack than you and it works fine , daws are ableton and reaper.

how far thru the install can you get, does the fastrack appear in device manager, is the configuration software appearing in control panel and if so what settings does it show ie bitrate?

ps also have you installed the driver as administrator

pps another thing it needs to be installed separately on any usb port that it uses and changing which usb port can break any interface
  16. Gabriel51

Windows 7 x64 has a big problem with this, check the web it's all over.
    Here are my settings, I included reaper, it shows its settings in the upper right.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. EricF

EricF Habitual User Gold Supporting Member

I use and Echo Audiofire 12 with Windows XP. It's been perfectly solid.
  18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

I hate to be the one to say it, but, any thoughts on going to a mac?

Presonus firepod eight channel by firewire to a basic imac with garage band or Cubase. Never had any of the issues you are describing.

Since we tossed the last windows machine and went with macs, the only problems we've had have been with Microsoft products. I haven't hit control, alt, delete in five years.

It's not you, it's windows.
  19. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Dumb ghetto test ....

Have you installed a generic video driver as a quick test

Years back we had tons to memory map issues with video

Emulating xp as another option...
  20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

On recording forums they're still pumping Xp.... Usb2 or FireWire ...... My dedicated recording laptop was $30 ---- zero latency or tracking issues

Reaper has a great dedicated forum