What are you using for a rackmount all Solid State Bass Pre

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, Feb 4, 2013.

1. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

I'm looking for strictly Solid State.
    I've read a little bit on:

ISP Beta Bass
    BBE BMAX
    Sans Amp RPM

Who is using these ? What else is there ?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not a rack mount, but I think you would love the Aguilar TH pedal, which will drive a power amp just fine.

3. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I use the BMAX. It makes a great pair with a high-wattage power amp if you want a clean, clear, quick response with plenty of headroom. The compressor and Sonic Maximizer functions are nice as well, particularly if you want run a small rack.

4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    The ISP Beta is great. Nice fellas also. The only thing I don't like is the external power supply.

The BMAX is an Alembic F1 clone. And a very well done one at that. Really nice and cheap to boot.

Never tried a San Amp RPM, but if it's like the other Tech 21 San Amp stuff it's gotta be great. USA made to.

IF money was no object. The Mike Pope MPP2 is insane and way over engineered. Gotta try one if you get a chance.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I have a BBE and it is a great preamp. It's very quick and has a lot of high-end detail and definition. Sometimes sweepable mids are great and sometimes they're a pain, but the para-mids are very tweekable and musical. The only complaint I have is that I wish the DI had an attenuater. I haven't used mine in a few years. About a year ago, I used it on a gig because my normal rig wasn't available for that gig. Both the sound engineer and I were estatic at how good it sounded. I have one of the earlier ones, and I'd still like to send it in to BBE to get the gain mod done on it.

I never used the RPM, but the RBI is obvious a good preamp. I never knew that ISP had a bass pre. I love their noise gate, though. :D

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    The BMax is a great pre and The RPM is also a good one.

I really like the Peavey Max pre though. Cheap and sounds great.

8. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

I'll need a very clean tone. The Beta Bass looks like it has plenty of features and eq control. I like the mid sweep on the RPM. And the BMAX has Para Mids which would be useful too.
    I'd have to search for the Peavey Max.
    Why does the Beta Bass have an external power supply ?

9. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

A used Ashly BP41 or Yamaha PB-1. Both great, versatile pre's.

10. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

Ampegs vast line of SVP's?

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

12. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

The RPM is great because it can do a nice basic clean sound, or a super-squishy "wet" sound, or any combination of the two.

13. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    I asked the same question a couple of years ago at NAMM. They told me their reason which really didn't satisfy me so I went over to another booth and talked to the chief Eng. how happened to be at the show and I know pretty well.

The real reason? It's easier and cheaper to get safety certifications if the power supply is external. You just include a power supply that already certified in the country of use.

And external supply is one where the power cord has the brick in the middle.

And internal power supply has the normal 3 pin plug like on the back of an amp or TV.

It's really not a big deal as far a function, it just surprised me. The only real downside to this is if the cable gets cut you have to buy a new one. If you put it a rack and secure it your good to go and probably won't ever have an issue.

With the "normal" style you can go to Wal-Mart and pick up a new cable for $5.

The Beta's are sweet pres though. It's a shame no ones really heard of them. I was looking at rack pres at the time and noticed it on their site so I made a point to go visit that year.

Their powered cabs are really cool to.

14. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Oh. I mispoke. I looked up a photo of the power supply. They don't use the block in the middle of the cable power.

It's worse.

They use a walwart. And that's why I was surprised.

15. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

I agree. I have the single channel version of this preamp, the MPP-1. It's unlike anything else I've played. Amazingly low levels of distortion of all kinds and unique phase coherence give this pre a very pure voice!

16. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

Unless I'm in error, tube bass preamps are far more popular. Alright, fine. But I'm pursuing an all solid state bass pre now.

And in my case, my "tone goal" as it's so frequently referred to here on TB is - clean, warm, round and fat.

So the Mike Pope pre: are they still making it ?

Does Thunderfunk have any plans for for a SS rackmount pre ?

Does the ISP Beta Bass have a HPF ? seems like a natural fit into the generous feature set that it already has.

I should have kept my Ashly BP-41. But with all due respect, I'd prefer a preamp that is in production.

17. Datsgor

Datsgor

Yamaha PB-1. Love the mid eq capabilities.

18. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

Yeah, the Yamaha PB-1 may be the only non-production bass preamp I'd consider. They can still be found here and there. And I keep posting - periodically - a request for a revised rackmount Tone Hammer (keep it solid state) with the same eq. as their famous DB 680. Come to think of it, Aguilar could make it in a 1 RU piece of gear. I visualize it either as a preamp only or with a Class D amp built in.

19. robd

robd Supporting Member

I use an RBI because I like putting a little dirt into my sound but if you want clean the Yamaha PB-1 is the way to go.

20. busmandan

busmandan

+1. I have both and wouldn't part with either of them.

21. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

He said strictly SS