1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

What are you using for outdoor gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rusty G String, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

This is for a medium sized gig outside with no FOH or pa support. Last year, I used my GK400rb with an Acoustic 410 and Peavey Headliner 210. It was farting out and I don't know if it was the cabinets or the amp struggling. I now have an MB500 and looking to add another cabinet. Maybe a 15 or another 410. Any suggestions?

2. Toptube

Toptube

A 410 should be plenty for a medium volume band. 400rb are loud compared to other amps of similar specs. If your Acoustic brand 410 is their typical inexpensive model, that is your culprit. Acoustic's stuff gives solid tone, but lacks power handling abilities.

I had their B115 sealed cab and while it sounded good, It would fart much sooner than it should have.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Rule of thumb is twice the cab you need indoors to keep up the low end.

Best not to drown out the drums, meaning use the extra firepower to eq in compensation for the lows that vanish to the rear and sky. And keep mr Guitard under control, you want the vocals to be heard through the struggling vocal PA. I find 2x10 with 1x15 and watts is fine.

4. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

The 410 is the old B410 cabinet. It sounds great at moderate volumes, but starts farting out before the peavey 210. There's an old peavey 115 for sale cheap near me. If that would pair nice with the 210, that would probably be my main rig. It's at GC, so I have until after the gig to return it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GK MB800 and a Bergantino AE410. I have also used the CN212 with that head outdoors and it did not disappoint.

7. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Outdoor gig without FOH?....Depends on musical style I guess. Me= SVP-Pro/Carvin HD1500>Fearful 12/6 atop a 15/sub.

If its any type of rock at least a very good 2x15 or 4x10, preferably more.....

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    In those situations, an SVT and an 810. Rare those situations come up these days, though.

9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I had to think long and hard, and I don't think I've ever done an outdoors gig without PA support.

Doing so playing the genres I play does not make sense to me.

This EV 505 stack is what I do use outdoors and indoors though:

[​IMG]

Perfectly capable of holding its own without PA support, but the beaming nature of the 18"s makes it less than ideal outdoors.

Regards
    Sam

10. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Wow. I can only think of two gigs I've done in the last ten years without PA support. The first I did with a Peavey Mark 6 XP with a 4 10 and an 18. It was at a shopping center for a car show and we were about 150 yards away from the buildings facing them. My daughter was there and said it sounded fine. (She's been listening to my bands since before she was born , has a good musical background and I trust her opinions over just about any other person I know.) She has no problems at all telling me when I make a mistake or am too loud or too soft.
    The other one was at a campground with wide open spaces and I had my SVT classic and an 8 10 for that one. I was told after the third song that I was too loud. (Yes , I turned it down a bit.)
    For out door gigs , you want to be able to move a LOT of air , so multiple cabs or 8 10's are your friend there.

11. modulusman

modulusman

Hire a sound company or rent /add more PA. Not sure what your idea of a medium size gig is but if you expect more than a couple hundred people outside then you will need subs.

12. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

The gig isn't as big as the ones you guys have played. Maybe 100 people. I think if I just replace the 410 I may be ok. I'll be using my MB 500 instead of the 200 watt 400rb. The amp was probably getting distorted at that volume, where the mb500 has a lot more headroom. Thanks for the input.

13. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Rusty, also think about rolling off your low end just a little when you play outside. That will let you play louder without asking as much excursion out of your speakers, and the low end doesn't seem to carry very far outdoors anyway.

14. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Best

15. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

This is how I get it done.

[​IMG]

16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

A medium size outside gig with no PA support - I suggest not booking the gig.

17. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

We use our own pa. We use it just for vocals and the acoustic guitars. We play bars with no FOH, and it's not a problem. The gig is a private club that we are friends of. They don't normally have bands and have no stage. It's just a fun place to play a couple times a year.

18. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I use a G-K Fusion 550 and G-K NEO412, if the PA can't handle the bass signal the band gets a foot and leg massage. ;)

19. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I almost never have FOH support. Old Acoustic Control amps or a new 360 have always worked just fine. They are the same size as an SVT and Fridge, so it just depends on what you want to sound like. Old ACC amps will cost you a whole lot less than an old SVT and Fridge.

20. Toptube

Toptube

A better 410 will work well. Those inexpensive Acoustic brand cabs just don't have the backbone for live band play.

I hosted a party in SF a couple of times, with live bands. Similar size to what I imagine you are doing. The rock band for the night used a 1x18 Peavey bass cab and it was plenty. They have a second 1x18, but I told them to save their backs.

21. Al Bass

Al Bass

Just did a outdoors gig with a SWR-750x into a Bergantino HT-322, and it was farting out when pushed hard or when playing notes on the B string. SWR-750x rated at 750w @ 4 ohms; Bergantino HT-322 handles 800w @ 4ohms. Had to turn down volume and eq to make it playable. Needless to say, didn't enjoy the gig. Just had the amp checked out and replaced the 12ax7. Gonna have the cab checked out next. Maybe one of the speakers about to go. Experienced this farting out several times now on both club and outdoors gigs. Got me thinking about a new rig. Both amp and cab is about 8 years old.