What Bass/Brand have you fallen out of love with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Mar 3, 2014.

1. armybass

armybass Roscoe and Bluesman Vintage Basses Gold Supporting Member

You used to be crazy about "bass/brand x" and now you are just not into it anymore. And when you were crazy about it.... Were you really infatuated or was it just the popular bass to have at that time?
  2. interp

interp Gold Supporting Member

Gibsons. Had an EB-0 because I loved the feel and sound at the time. Eventually I fell out of love with the mudbuckers and went over to the Fender side.
  3. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

I wanted an EB-O as a kid but could not afford one. I settled for a Vox Cougar. 48 years later I picked up an EB-O and hated it, just not for me.
  4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Rickenbacker. I always wanted one, finally got one but it was just so bloody uncomfortable. I need a forearm contour, whatever way I play I just can't do without it. I still love the aesthetic and my old 4003 sounded like thunder in a fight with a bear, which I adored, but I just had to move it on.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mojomike001

mojomike001

Ibanez. They feel great, but I don't like their tone. More and more, I feel that Fender got it right a long, long time ago.
  7. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

Never could get used to a jazz bass. I've tried twice. Can't get used to the small neck.
  8. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

Interesting; in my neck of the woods, EB-0s were *cheaper* than Cougars, which I had one of (my second bass). An Epiphone Newport was the third. Never owned an EB-0.

I tend to bond (or not) with a particular bass, not a brand.
  9. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    For me Gibsons (I owned Les Paul, SG RI, G3, Money and Tbird basses) and RIC (orders a new one and just hated the feel).

Also, I used to own a bunch of Stingrays but just got bored with them. I will very likely own another one down the road though...
  10. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Gibson. I always wanted one so I ended up buying an EB5 brand new. Worst bass ever for me on multiple fronts. Sold it. Never, ever again to own a Gibson.

Lakland. I still like them, but wish they made an affordable 34" 5-string. Until then, they're off the radar.

Rickenbacker. I wanted one for 20+ years. I finally got one, and it was just not comfortable.
  11. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Fender. When I started Fender was the brand to have. I generally only like passive basses, so it made sense. I love the simpleness and tone of a good ol' P Bass with flats. I love the grind of a Jazz with rounds and 70's bridge pickup. All of my favourite bassists played them too: Jamerson, Geddy, and Jaco.

I started getting influenced by Jamiroquai, and in my local shop I found a new Warwick Rockbass LX, and I fell in love with it. My wife bought it for me for an anniverdary present and it was just amazing. I'm very particular about how my basses are setup, and this bass gave my pretty much full access to everything with the just-a-nut and 2 piece, 3D bridge. The neck too is as thin as a jazz, maybe thinner and the radius is a super flat 16" or 20" radius. Playbility just became easy. I still want to change the pickups, and get only passove electonics but I'm not in a huge rush.

The flat radius of the neck though is just too good. Any Fender I picked up, even the Geddy Lee sig model, just feels too fat for me. I had to sell all of my Fenders.
  12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I've also discovered I can't/won't do J basses, even with a decent (wider) neck I have no use for the bridge PUP. Tried Sadowsky, Fbass, Modulus, Fender, and a few others which escape my memory. Soapbars are ok, but in the end I'm happy with a plain ol' passive P.

Point in case, I have a JPJ (P neck), never use the bridge PUP, it's either the neck J for boom or the P for growl.
  13. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Modulus. I've owned a number of them and I may yet still. But for now, the necks just don't do it for me. I can't feel the notes resonate through the neck, so I'm literally "not feeling" it.
  14. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    G&L L-Series basses.
    Pretty much all I played from when they came out in 1980 til about 10 years ago when I started phasing them out for Jazz 5 type basses. Got rid of the last ones 2-3 years ago.
  15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I guess if I go waaaayy back -- like 40 years ago -- I was pretty smitten by the Rickenbacker 4001. Loved the way they looked, loved the way they sounded in the hands of Chris Squire and Jon Camp, used to watch The Hudson Brothers on TV because Mark (?) played a 4001, I think I might have even bought a BeeGees album just because there was a picture of Maurice Gibb playing a 4001 on the cover. I just knew I had to have one some day

...until I played a few.

And by "a few" I mean a lot. Finding a Rickenbacker 4001 that sounded remotely as good as -- or, hell, even just remotely similar to -- Squire or Camp became my holy grail throughout my teenage years. Over 6 or 7 years, after playing easily two dozen different specimens, I found one that sounded like what I'd been searching for. And the guy who owned it wasn't selling it.

So the romance kinda died. I still wouldn't mind owning a nice 4001 (or 4003, or 400-whatever-they're-called-now) but I definitely don't "love" them anymore.
  16. mandohack

mandohack Supporting Member

Carvin. I've had five of their basses (LB75s, P5s, SB5000) and one guitar, of late, the quality has started to suffer a bit IMO. The last two, both P5s both came with issues (one came incorrectly built, the other a P/J sounded just awful (likely a setup issue, but I didn't have the patience for receiving a bass from them that wasn't setup properly to begin with, it went back the next day)).

The older LB75s and the SB5000 were extremely well-built and setup.

Made the move to a Spector Rebop 5 and haven't picked up the Carvins since.
  17. markorbit

markorbit

Rickenbacker for me too. No longer into that particular tone and the newer shapes lose some mojo for me. However if I came across a great one (that either sounded 100% Rickenbacker or as warm and chocolatey as Maurice Gibbs ) I'm sure I could revert back without too much trouble. I do love the design, especially in White.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Ibanez, although I was never really in love with them they just had available 6 strings at my local shop. My first was an SR506, what a pile of ****, dark tone, you couldn't get a playable setup it was either all clank or crazy high. I replaced that with a BTB 676 which I loved for a couple years but when I sold it I noticed several frets were cracking and the rest looked beat to hell. I have never had frets wear so badly so quickly.
  19. cableguy

cableguy

me as well. Although my 81 L1000 I've had since the early 90's isn't going anywhere. I love the way it plays and sounds. But I'm now going for a more aggressive tone and play my Spector almost exclusively.
  20. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger Supporting Member

Lakland. I guess I should add a caveat: Lakland Skylines. I've had five of 'em: a 55-02, a DJ4, a JoBo 4, and two 44-02s (one MIK with rosewood and a MII with maple). None of them had any real 'soul', and though they were certainly playable, they all had this good-but-not-great shroud that permeated everything about them, from the build quality to the electronics.

For instance, I've found the Lakland/Hanson pickups just aren't very clear and wide-ranging in their voicing -- certainly not as much as their rep would have you believe. I found the same to be true somewhat of the JoBo -- which had Aeros in it. It just didn't speak tonally like most other J-style basses I've had (or have). Case in point: the tone controls on my ShuttleMAX 12.2 are about twice as powerful (and, thus, use-able) through my Elrick Expat NJS with Nords and a Bart NTMB than they were through the MII 44-02.

Sure: maybe I'd think a bit differently with a US Lakland. But only a bit, I figure, since the electronics are the same ... anyway, pretty sure I'm done with Lakland now that I have a Sandberg on the way from across the pond ... :hyper: :bassist:
  21. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Warwick: I used to think that Thumbs were the best basses ever until I played one; the neck was this huge 20" monster, the nut was too thin(I prefer a smaller 7.25" radius and a relatively wide nut) and it had so much neck dive that the headstock was at my knee level standing up. The tone was terrible but thats because of the sterile sounding MEC pickups or maybe weird SS strings they put on their basses. Anyway: horrible. Give me an Alembic any day!