1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What bass do u regret not having any more?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeybass68, Jan 22, 2013.

1. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

For me, it was the 1st bass I owned: '73 Fender Precision (gorgeous sunburst with black pickguard & rosewood fretboard) which I paid about $300 or so for in the mid 80's. For some assanine reason, I thought it would be cool to put a Kahler whammy bar on it - WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!!!!!
    The routing for that totally killed the tone of the body. A couple years later I sold the body off, bought a P-J body from Warmoth which I put the neck on & then had the frets taken out. Put the P pickup in, a new bridge on it and an EMG Select Jazz PU in the bridge position. I pretty much exclusively used the EMG, so I eventually just took the P pickup out & luckily put it in a box with a bunch of other gear.
    As luck would have it, I came across that P pickup & had it installed in my MIM P bass & it made a completely new bass out of it. It absolutely sings! That being said, I STILL WISH I HAD THE ORIGINAL '73 P-BASS!!!!!!

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

'76 Mocha/maple board P bass. Sold it when I needed some cash. Two days later I got a random gift from a family member of more than what I sold the bass for. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

3. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

dont really miss any of my old basses other than an old korean squier p-bass. had a pretty nice neck on it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. msquared

msquared

I've owned and sold a decent amount, but the ones which stand out are the Modulus Flea 5, the amber Lakland 55-02, the Bolin NS fretless, and especially the Fender ADPV.

7. Einherjar

Einherjar

None. Because the only one I ever got rid of was a Squier affinity p bass with horribly sharp fret ends that was replaced with a Greg Bennett Samick Corsair 4.

8. chuck3

chuck3

Several of them. My first bass, a 1965 Hagstrom that looked exactly like this except it was red:

[​IMG]

I had a fretless Frankenbass of some kind in the '70s that I wish I still had, and a really nice Jazz in the early '80s.

What's crazy is not that I don't have them any more, but that I don't remember exactly what I did with them. Sold them, traded them for something that seemed more important at the time, but who knows what that was. I would sell a bass to buy a used car, that kind of thing. Today I just wish I had the basses back! :bassist:

9. hsech

hsech Smile. Life is short. Gold Supporting Member

I wish I still had the old Kay bass that is in my profile picture. It was my first and cost me the princely sum of $30 in 1962. It wasn't much to look at, but it sounded fine through my Sears Silvertone amp.

10. Mike M.

Mike M.

For me it was my first really good bass, a Gibson EB-3 that I saved for and bought new in 1971. Had a job after school and on weekends washing dishes so I could get it. Seemed to take forever to have the money for that bass (new with case for $345.00!!) and when I finally got it I was a kid in heaven.

Played it for a good couple of years before my tastes changed and I sold it for a Rickenbacker 4001. While the Ric and a few other basses have come and gone thru the years I often think about that EB-3 and how proud of myself I was for saving up for it.

So I wish I still had it for sentimental reasons.

11. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

My natural maple USA Lakland Joe Osborne

12. Greevus

Greevus

Ric 4001 blonde. Not cause I would play it. Cause I would sell it for about $2000-3000 more than I did.

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

My Peavey Cirrus 6 and Carvin BB75.

14. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Jetglo Ric 4001. Damn I was idiot.

15. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Factory fretless Ibanez Musician 940.

wraub

16. AJ Brown

AJ Brown Supporting Member

70's something P Bass, Natural finish with tort guard. That thing was ultra-light. I sold it about 20 years ago.

17. ShowKing

ShowKing

My first bass Yamaha RBX170. It wasn't that good and it looked ugly.
    Also my third bass Lakland Skyline 55-02 cos I got a custom USA Lakland in place of it.

18. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

19. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Back when I was young and stupid I had a original Musicman (pre Ernie Ball) Stingray! Natural finish with maple neck. I probably traded it in for something dumb! Man I wish I still had that bass!

20. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I had a Mexi Jazz that I really liked the neck, but the bridge kept falling apart on me so I took it back.

I kinda dwell on that bass because it was before I knew how to do my own mods, and swapping the bridge would've saved a fantastic bass. The only thing I didn't like about it was having to raise the bridge saddles after every song. Shame.

21. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Not a regret per se, but i wouldn't mind having my old '84 flame koa Alembic Exploiter that I had converted to fretless back.