1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

What bass do u regret not having any more?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeybass68, Jan 22, 2013.

1. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Wantagh, NY
    For me, it was the 1st bass I owned: '73 Fender Precision (gorgeous sunburst with black pickguard & rosewood fretboard) which I paid about $300 or so for in the mid 80's. For some assanine reason, I thought it would be cool to put a Kahler whammy bar on it - WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!!!!!
    The routing for that totally killed the tone of the body. A couple years later I sold the body off, bought a P-J body from Warmoth which I put the neck on & then had the frets taken out. Put the P pickup in, a new bridge on it and an EMG Select Jazz PU in the bridge position. I pretty much exclusively used the EMG, so I eventually just took the P pickup out & luckily put it in a box with a bunch of other gear.
    As luck would have it, I came across that P pickup & had it installed in my MIM P bass & it made a completely new bass out of it. It absolutely sings! That being said, I STILL WISH I HAD THE ORIGINAL '73 P-BASS!!!!!!

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    '76 Mocha/maple board P bass. Sold it when I needed some cash. Two days later I got a random gift from a family member of more than what I sold the bass for. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

3. Sponsored by:

4. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Wantagh, NY
  5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    dont really miss any of my old basses other than an old korean squier p-bass. had a pretty nice neck on it.

6. msquared

msquared Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've owned and sold a decent amount, but the ones which stand out are the Modulus Flea 5, the amber Lakland 55-02, the Bolin NS fretless, and especially the Fender ADPV.

7. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    None. Because the only one I ever got rid of was a Squier affinity p bass with horribly sharp fret ends that was replaced with a Greg Bennett Samick Corsair 4.

8. Several of them. My first bass, a 1965 Hagstrom that looked exactly like this except it was red:

[​IMG]

I had a fretless Frankenbass of some kind in the '70s that I wish I still had, and a really nice Jazz in the early '80s.

What's crazy is not that I don't have them any more, but that I don't remember exactly what I did with them. Sold them, traded them for something that seemed more important at the time, but who knows what that was. I would sell a bass to buy a used car, that kind of thing. Today I just wish I had the basses back! :bassist:

9. hsech

hsech Wish I could afford one of those. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I wish I still had the old Kay bass that is in my profile picture. It was my first and cost me the princely sum of $30 in 1962. It wasn't much to look at, but it sounded fine through my Sears Silvertone amp.

10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    For me it was my first really good bass, a Gibson EB-3 that I saved for and bought new in 1971. Had a job after school and on weekends washing dishes so I could get it. Seemed to take forever to have the money for that bass (new with case for $345.00!!) and when I finally got it I was a kid in heaven.

Played it for a good couple of years before my tastes changed and I sold it for a Rickenbacker 4001. While the Ric and a few other basses have come and gone thru the years I often think about that EB-3 and how proud of myself I was for saving up for it.

So I wish I still had it for sentimental reasons.

11. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    My natural maple USA Lakland Joe Osborne

12. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Ric 4001 blonde. Not cause I would play it. Cause I would sell it for about $2000-3000 more than I did.

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My Peavey Cirrus 6 and Carvin BB75.

14. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Jetglo Ric 4001. Damn I was idiot.

15. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Factory fretless Ibanez Musician 940.

wraub

16. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Disclosures:
    Founder: Wing Bass
    70's something P Bass, Natural finish with tort guard. That thing was ultra-light. I sold it about 20 years ago.

17. My first bass Yamaha RBX170. It wasn't that good and it looked ugly.
    Also my third bass Lakland Skyline 55-02 cos I got a custom USA Lakland in place of it.

18. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
  19. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Back when I was young and stupid I had a original Musicman (pre Ernie Ball) Stingray! Natural finish with maple neck. I probably traded it in for something dumb! Man I wish I still had that bass!

20. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I had a Mexi Jazz that I really liked the neck, but the bridge kept falling apart on me so I took it back.

I kinda dwell on that bass because it was before I knew how to do my own mods, and swapping the bridge would've saved a fantastic bass. The only thing I didn't like about it was having to raise the bridge saddles after every song. Shame.

21. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Not a regret per se, but i wouldn't mind having my old '84 flame koa Alembic Exploiter that I had converted to fretless back.