1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What bass effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Margus Alviste, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Hey, anybody has any ideas what effect has been used in that song: ?
  2. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

The same here: . Starting from 4:02. Any ideas?
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The first clip is an envelope filter or wah, but I can't tell if it's actually on the bass or just the keys.

The second clip is definitely the keys. Bass sounds pretty much like straight bass with no effects.
  4. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Nope, he uses some kind of effect for sure. Sounds like a mix of an envelope filter and flanger or something.
  5. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Here's another example:
  6. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

I think it's no effects on the bass on the first two clips. The third he's blending vocals with his bass. He has two mics and the one he was singing through has some kind of effect maybe an octave of some kind. Kind of like a makeshift talkbox. Definitely some envelope follower is also being used but I'm not sure if it's on the vocal mic or the bass.
  7. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

It's his signature sound. Great sound and great playing!
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The keys are following the bass line, just watch the playing. Every time you hear that "effect" it happens to coincide when the keyboard player plays his top board.

I'm not familiar with the band, but based on your statement I'd say it's their signature sound rather than his.
  9. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

There is some envelope filter on the bass at some points, the keys are also sweeping though and account for a lot of what you're probably hearing... You might be able to pull off a bit similar type sound by splitting your signal into two different envelope filters with the addition of an octave and fuzz on one channel...
  10. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Thanks guys! It seems that his Spector sounds through the Ampeg rig like there was an effect in between the bass and the amp. I like that sound!
  11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

The sound heard at 4:02 in the second vid is most assuredly the keyboards, not the bass.

You can even see him not playing at 4:02 - he's still picking up the bass as the riff begins. And then a few bars later there's a shot through the keyboard's arms and you see the bass player standing there, clearly NOT moving his right hand in time with that lick.

It does sound like he has some mild envelope follower or phaser on his signal, but that one riff is clearly played by the keys.
  12. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Yes, he starts playing a bit later.
  13. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Just listened to once again. The bass player starts at 4:05 and there is definitely some kind of effect in his setup. Probably Phazer or Flanger. The keyboard sounds great too but it's the bass sound that does that trick.
  14. Phagor

Phagor

He's doing some voice activated wah trick in that last video. But it's not a talk box - I can't see an air cable going up next to the mic.
  15. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

My guess is a compressor with some kind of octave pedal, both of which are much more prevalent in this type of funk/soul than filter pedals. That combo could account for the slight envelope affect as well as some of the warble (and some of that warble could be from his left hand). If you check the 2nd clip, the bass is getting pretty low like a 5 string, yet he's playing halfway up the neck on a 4 string, which screams octave to me. I don't think there's an actual filter because the high notes aren't nearly as affected as the low ones, and it's usually the perceived opposite with something like a flanger or envelope filter.