What bass for a metal band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by musicman96, Mar 18, 2014.

1. musicman96

musicman96

I play in a metal/hardcore/djent band, kind of bullet for my valentine meets djent and I currently use a marlin state of the art bass which is a surprisingly nice bass but I feel that I need something that is a lot better. I have a j bass body but I was also thinking of either an ibanez atk200 or an sr300 so any opinions on these basses or other basses woiukd be appreciated
  2. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

3. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

It would have to be this one:
    [​IMG]
  4. GM60466

GM60466

Mike Lull T-Bird
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    That bass, you know, what's its brand... the bass played by... Oh, I can't recall, but he's a very cool player, he played in... in that band, you know..., the one with four strings on... or maybe five... anyway, you got it, ain't you?...
  7. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Bass for a metal band? Depends on if they still make the Hello Kitty P-bass or not. If they don't you'll go through the rest of your metal career not feeling like a real man :(
  8. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Welcome to TalkBass :)
  9. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

that hellokitty/batz maru squier bass is supposedly pretty good. just take the pg off.
  11. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

To be fair to the OP, he is asking about a couple of specific models and what people's opinions are on them as opposed to the "Hey, what bass should I use for a metal band?" and nothing else.

I don't have any experience with either bass, but why don't you elaborate on what you're looking for in terms of sound and such, that way we might be able to give some more informed recommendations.
  12. wallerdub

wallerdub

whatever bass feels and sounds good to you. mostly feel!!

personally....IMO i like the warwick Thumb for metal.
  13. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Load the J body with some TV Jones Thunder'Mag pickups.

Bolt on a Telebass neck with lightweight tuners and a hipshot D-tuner thingyamabob.

Choose your favourite colour and get the body sprayed (matching headstock optional), add stickers or graphics to taste.

Voila, a personalised bass that'll stand out visually and sonically from the murder of metal crowbasses.
  14. HoboCop

HoboCop

I would take an SR over an ATK probably.. I think just about any bass can sound right for the job, the SR series generally have very thin necks and are easier to play fast. Warwicks are good if you like a ton of low end.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Here's what some of the bassists of Djent bands that I regularly listen to use..

Adam "Nolly" Getgood (Periphery) - Dingwall
    Amos Williams (TesseracT) - Warwick
    Dick Lövgren (Meshuggah) - Warwick
    Johan Nyberg (Vildhjarta) - Carvin
    David Darocha (Born of Osiris) - Warwick
    Danny Hauser (Veil of Maya) - Ibanez also Groove Tools GTBD7
    Adam Swan (Chimp Spanner) - Lakland Skyline 55-60

Warwick seems to have the most representation..
  16. Mushroo

Mushroo

I used an SX P bass ($169) in my last metal band, sounded great.

They don't make that exact model any more. It was like this one, but with cosmetic differences (black pickguard, black block bindings, different shape headstock):

http://www.rondomusic.com/product3650.html

An inexpensive P-style bass (SX, Squier, MIM Fender, etc.) is a great entry-level metal bass, providing a classic metal tone in the style of such players as Steve Harris and Geezer Butler.

Equally important is having a big, loud amp... it's almost better in my opinion to get a cheaper bass and spend the extra money on more speakers. ;)
  17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

18. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Media:
    IME the Ibanez ATK series has a much thicker sound than the SR series. Try them and see which you prefer. I like the sound of the ATK, but I learned to play on an SR, so they feel more comfortable.
  19. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    do you play with a pick? if so, I really think the tone of a passive P/J bass would handle it beautifully. I have an LTD vintage-204 i upgraded with dimarzios and it would be a metal machine picked....if I played metal.

if you do fingers, I would probably get active so you can dial in the attack you want. ibanez sr300 would work great for that.
  20. groovyBoom

groovyBoom Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I personally dig the sound of the Spector Legend series that I use for metal/djent. The stock setup in there has a whole lot of balls.
  21. Steveaux

Steveaux

Later in the interview he stated, "If you call us djent that's fine, I mean I would never self apply the term. But at the same time it's just so vague that I don't know what to make of it.

:p