What bass-heavy bands have piqued your interest lately?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ironbar, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar

For me it's Clatter. Duo out of the Midwest- bass and drums only. He plays drums and she rocks a Rickenbacker. (That's enough for me to like her even without the music!).

http://www.clatter.com/index.html

So what bands have you discovered or re-discovered that rock your bass world?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know of any, but these Clatter folks are somewhat cool. Reminds me, in a way, of Belly. Thanks for the link.

This isn't a shameless promotion attempt for your friends in Clatter is it? :D

-Mike

3. Ironbar

Ironbar

Well, considering I live on the west coast and they live in the Midwest, and we've never met in our lives, I'd have to say no.

Amy did answer my e-mail I sent to her last month telling them I really dig their music, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't make us friends.

I wanted to start this thread to get some more exposure to what others are listening to / in to.

4. Junk420

Junk420

Way behind, but a friend of mind lent me a copy of Zooma by John Paul Jones. AMAZING stuff!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You may want to take it over to the Misc forum since that forum is for music.

-Mike

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Oh yeah, I remember that coming out. I never did get around to checking it out. I should.

I've been going back to listening to a lot of Yes lately. I was thinking how Jon Anderson was kinda the "white knight" to Jim Morrison's "dark prince" in terms of lyricism and poetry. So I started listening to both bands to test my hypothesis. It seemed to hold pretty true at first, but then I just got wrapped up in Squire's playing and the whole rest of the band and just ended up listening to a lot of Yes. Phenomenal stuff. Chris Squire and Bill Bruford/Alan White are amazing.

8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Awesome, best new song and sound I heard so far this year. BTW. I am an old classic rock guy and there style appeals to me.

9. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Snarky Puppy! OK, they may not be "bass heavy", but the band leader and principal composer is a bassist (Michael League).

Check 'em out:

10. cleary

cleary

11. Basshappi

Basshappi

Been a fan of Clatter for a long time.

12. zachoff

zachoff

13. zachoff

zachoff

...and I've been listening to a unhealthy amount of The Jesus Lizard lately, but I love them long time.

14. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Clatter is very interesting and I dig that vibe on that song. The Rick's sound lends itself well to what she's doing, IMO. I hear little smatterings of Lemmy in her approach.

15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Saw 'em play last year in LA. Amazing! One of the best shows I saw that year and I go to a fair amount of shows. Their drummer is a monster! Seeing him and League lay down the pocket was something phenomenal.

16. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

Winery dogs...overplaying at it's finest

17. 21niko21

21niko21 Supporting Member

I saw Snarky Puppy play at The Motet's record release party last night. Wow! Actually there were some pretty bass heavy parts that were almost like fusion bass drops if that makes any sense. My husband completely fell in love with them too. Here's a direct quote of his you all may enjoy. "It's like Frank Zappa *ucked the Crusaders".

18. Milk

Milk

i clicked on the Snarky Puppy link but fell asleep before the bass kicked in. ;)