1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

What bass is good for low tunings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlapBass1440, Nov 17, 2012.

1. SlapBass1440

SlapBass1440

Jun 21, 2012
    Hey my metal bands tuning is in drop c ad my fender p bass does not cut it for low tuning. Like a lot of bassists I am on a budget but any help will be appreciated.

2. Sponsored by:

3. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Use a light gauge B (.125) string instead of an E string. C is just a half tone closer to B.

4. netmics

netmics

Apr 7, 2010
    The natural reacton is to look at 5 string basses. Also would be good to ask r your luthier if is possible to adjust the action of your precission to lower the E string, but your bass would be restricted to that tuning.

Hope this helps

5. Fender P basses are great with low tunings. Any decent bass is. Just get heavier strings.

6. The original Music Man SUB basses worked well for me tuned D-G-C-F.

7. cjmodulus

cjmodulus Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2010
    some people prefer active basses for lower tunings, though I agree starting with a thicker string gauge would be a good idea before buying a new instrument.
    if you're looking to stay with 4 strings, maybe an Ibanez BTB model? as far as I know those have a 35 inch scale, which some believe provides more clarity to lower tunings. Best of luck with your search!

8. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    Longer scale length helps. Some people say they can get a good low tuning out of a 34 inch 4-string, but even with professional set ups I never could. I tried and tried different strings, different pick up heights, had set ups...nope. Still mud with most of them.

So I suggest picking up a 35 inch or just going with a decent 5 string you can tune to drop C.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Circle K strings has an amazing variety of gauges. Maybe all you need to do is get a heavier set. Prolly will help to use a balanced tension set, rather than traditional tension. That's explained on their site.

11. I think it's more about the strings and setup you use than about the bass itself when it comes to low tunings.

My cheap Peavey sounds just fine tuned BEAD. But I use the bottom four strings of a 5-string set and got a setup for that tuning.

12. I play P Basses in that tuning and I love how it sounds. I use a 110 E string.

13. The Mothman.

The horrifically satanic sub-warble of it's low B is enough to screw up the Gulf Stream and mess with animals migration.

The Mothman is the main perpetrator of the '2012 apocalypse' hoo-hah.

14. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    P basses are the best for low tunings IMO, those low notes really benefit from that low-mid thickness.