What bass is good for low tunings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlapBass1440, Nov 17, 2012.

1. SlapBass1440

SlapBass1440

Hey my metal bands tuning is in drop c ad my fender p bass does not cut it for low tuning. Like a lot of bassists I am on a budget but any help will be appreciated.
  2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Use a light gauge B (.125) string instead of an E string. C is just a half tone closer to B.
  3. netmics

netmics

The natural reacton is to look at 5 string basses. Also would be good to ask r your luthier if is possible to adjust the action of your precission to lower the E string, but your bass would be restricted to that tuning.

Hope this helps
  4. El-Bob

El-Bob

Fender P basses are great with low tunings. Any decent bass is. Just get heavier strings.
  5. R Upsomegrub

R Upsomegrub

The original Music Man SUB basses worked well for me tuned D-G-C-F.
  6. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

some people prefer active basses for lower tunings, though I agree starting with a thicker string gauge would be a good idea before buying a new instrument.
    if you're looking to stay with 4 strings, maybe an Ibanez BTB model? as far as I know those have a 35 inch scale, which some believe provides more clarity to lower tunings. Best of luck with your search!
  7. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Longer scale length helps. Some people say they can get a good low tuning out of a 34 inch 4-string, but even with professional set ups I never could. I tried and tried different strings, different pick up heights, had set ups...nope. Still mud with most of them.

So I suggest picking up a 35 inch or just going with a decent 5 string you can tune to drop C.
  8. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Ibanez atk
  9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Circle K strings has an amazing variety of gauges. Maybe all you need to do is get a heavier set. Prolly will help to use a balanced tension set, rather than traditional tension. That's explained on their site.
  10. Sartori

Sartori

I think it's more about the strings and setup you use than about the bass itself when it comes to low tunings.

My cheap Peavey sounds just fine tuned BEAD. But I use the bottom four strings of a 5-string set and got a setup for that tuning.
  11. Im_telling_tim

Im_telling_tim

I play P Basses in that tuning and I love how it sounds. I use a 110 E string.
  12. CauliColin

CauliColin

The Mothman.

The horrifically satanic sub-warble of it's low B is enough to screw up the Gulf Stream and mess with animals migration.

The Mothman is the main perpetrator of the '2012 apocalypse' hoo-hah.
  13. Duckwater

Duckwater

P basses are the best for low tunings IMO, those low notes really benefit from that low-mid thickness.