What bass is Steve Swallow playing here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basss, Nov 5, 2012.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    That's a bass made for him by luthier "Froc" Fillippetti with a Zeta Systems transducer pickup rather than a magnetic one. He used these basses extensively prior to his use of Parker Fly Basses and his current choice, a Citron AE5 Swallow Signature.
  3. jlepre

jlepre

Meh..that's not bass playing...
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

He is a unique voice. I've seen him many times. His tone is not my thing, but the notes, the notes. Amazing player.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I have to agree never was a fan of his or that style.
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

For those interested in his playing, another player who does the sort of 'pick/short scale/E to C' sort of thing, and has a unique style is the amazing Carlos Benevente (from Paco De Lucia's band... hope I have the spelling correct). He plays a similar instrument made by Jerzy Drozd. Saw him on a Chick Corea tour a while back... stunningly unique. 'Flamenco' bass! Saw him with Paco back in the day, and it was ridiculous.
  8. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    He's playing a bass, so that's as much bass playing in my book as Scott Lafaro or Jaco. It's not "Kansas City" but it sure sounds cool to me. :cool:
  9. ACB0015

ACB0015

It is most certainly bass playing. Always a pleasure to hear Carla and Swallow. For a while he was hollowing out P basses to get to that sound. Love him on this 4 string.
  10. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Carles is a beast! Saw him on The Ultimate Adventure Tour with Chick Corea.
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That was the tour. Saw that band when they came through Detroit about 10 years ago. Simply amazing! I was lucky enough to also see him many years ago on the Paco De Lucia 'Across America' tour. We had no idea what we were even listening to, but it was something very special. I was not long after Jaco's death, and he quoted LOTS of Jaco's tunes in his solos spot. Strange bass back then.... some sort of Fender body with a Ken Smith neck or something.
  12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Saying that Steve's playing is not bass playing is a bit ignorant I think. He is a fantastic player with a unique voice. You may not like the style of music, but you need to get past that and try and appreciate what he is doing on the instrument.

I dig his tone a lot more when he is playing the Citron.
  13. basss

basss Supporting Member

Thanks for the info - Steve is one of the most musical cats out there IMHO. I can see how his tone/style might not be for everyone. I love how he works in the top levels of the modern (acoustic - not fusion) jazz scene with a truly unique sound in situations where the default choice is an upright. It's something different, unique and special.
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 He was playing that bass last time I saw him with Bill Stewart... that was something (Scofield). He was doing his 'deep, thuddy' sort of emulated DB tone, which he is IMO more known for than the very open kind of 'nylon string piezo' tone on that clip. He was using his beloved Walter Woods into a provided backline cab. Sounded great
  15. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

It amazes me how quickly these threads turn into bashing, every time! The OP did not ask for opinions on Steve's playing, he asked what bass he was playing, Roy answered it and that should have been that. But noooooooooo, someone takes a shot and others jump on the bandwagon. If you want to talk about his playing, go start your own damn thread!!!
  16. cjazjef

cjazjef

Damn you know equipment. Froc plays around here in acoustic acts, he's an odd guy but an amazing luthier in Connecticut.
  17. jlepre

jlepre

Hey it was just my opinion. You can either agree, disagree, or not care. I meant no harm. It was just how I feel about lead bass players.
  18. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    No worries! :)
  19. basss

basss Supporting Member

Is Froc still making basses? Does he have a website?
  20. cjazjef

cjazjef

I don't believe he does anymore..I've seen a few of his non-bass guitar creations and they are gorgeous but I think he is more of a repair guy these days.
  21. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Really?

Exactly!

+1.
    he is an amazing composer too.
    +1. :)

Well, your opinion was: "Meh..that's not bass playing...". Why, because he is a lead bass player? I don't think so. He plays bass and yes, that's bass playing (it's my {and every jazz musician's} opinion) and he can play awesome bass lines.

example #1 (12 bar blues, 320 bpm, 1981 live with John Scofield trio):