What bass is that?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EmptyCup, Dec 10, 2013.

1. EmptyCup

EmptyCup Supporting Member

Just watched a vid on YouTube of all the young dudes (Mott the Hoople) and @ 2:02 there is a few seconds of the bass player.

Link -

I can't identify the bass but wow :eek: it must be a custom one off job.

Can't say I'd want one but it sure is unusual.

P.S. I saw them Dec. 20th 1975 in PGH, Pa. with RUSH!
    RUSH opened then Mott and the headliner was Kiss :rollno:

38 years later only RUSH is still Rockin' :bassist:

P.S.S. Yeah i'm old
  2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Looks like some custom or homemade jobby. What ever it is its frickin ugly and the guitar player has one kind of like it.
  3. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Ian Hunter played a custom guitar that was shaped like the letter "H." I have no idea who made it.

Overend Watts was the bassist, and I assume this is a one off of some species. Most of the pics I have seen have him playing a white Gibson Thunderbird. Much nicer looking than the oddity in the video.......
  4. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Based on this?

[​IMG]

From here:

http://www.aylesburyfriars.co.uk/mott73.html

It's a swallow!

Mott The Hoople quickly built up a fearsome reputation as a dynamite live attraction playing no holds barred, gloriously ragged rock’ n’ roll and much of the group’s raw energy emanated from band’s propulsive engine room; the thunderous rhythm section of Overend Watts and Dale Griffin. Apart from his musicianship and his too-little credited arrangement skills, Overend has to take credit for much of the look of the band, instilling a belief that they needed to look good too. To stand out in a band as visual as Mott The Hoople were takes some doing, but it would have been hard not to notice Overend Watts in his thigh high platform boots, silver hair with a custom made bass guitar in the shape of a swallow! Describing Overend in his 1972 US Tour Diary, Ian Hunter wrote, “He’s solid as a rock, always sunny, no matter what sort of mess he’s currently in and he always tries to keep the egos up. When I think of Pete I think of kindness, gentleness, eccentricity – a complete upper in every way.”

http://mottthehoople.com/main/?page_id=534
  5. EmptyCup

EmptyCup Supporting Member

Great post Flashbackbass. Much clearer in the pics than on the vid! Of course many things have become clearer since the "herbal 70's" :D

Apparently the bassist, Pete Overend Watts, has just released a book called "The man who hated walking" a non-fiction work about back-packing. The book documents his 650/680 mile trek across the UK.

Huffington review here for those interested:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-semioli/overend-watts-a-rock-star_b_4367670.html

Thanks again for the flash back, Flashbackbass!
  6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Great investigating!!
  7. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Absolutely............ Thanks!!!!!