1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What bass is this (Korgis' YouTube video)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Apr 17, 2007.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

This is from an early 80s tune called Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime by the Korgis. Was also covered by The Dream Academy and even more recently butchered by Beck.

Around the 00:47 mark, you can see a guy who looks a lot like Bill Gates holding a bass. The shape is not quite like anything I've ever seen before, and I'm curious about what make it is. Thanks in advance.
  2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

bump

Surely someone recognizes this bass...
  3. adje

adje

I didn't recognize it from the clip, which I thought I knew, but it does give me that ole déjà-vu all over again. Around 1980 there was a UK musician's magazine that did lots of features on builders like Wal, Shergold and the like. That strange pointy body is a distinct memory from turning those pages 25 years ago - but sadly I don't have those magazines anymore.
  4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

:confused:

[​IMG]

:D
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

Too blurry and indistinct - like the sound quality on that clip, which was terrible!

I remember that track from the 80s but have never heard it sound so bad! :meh:
  6. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

I have to agree about the sound. This was one of my favorite tunes from that period, and still is to this day. I think that particular video was the only one available on YouTube at the time I found it (I was looking for the song, hadn't ever seen the video, and then the image with the bass popped up, which is why I posted the video here).

Jasonbraatz- An Adidas ball deserves better treatment. Let the dogs chew on a Nike or Umbro ball next time :)

Adje- Looks like you're the only one who's even seen anything like the bass before. Oh, well... I give up.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
  7. MaltZero

MaltZero

What's so bad about the Beck version?
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you can see it quite clear in this one

and I have no clue
  9. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

I probably shouldn't have used "butchered". It just doesn't have the same effect on me musically. I have nothing against covers -I like The Dream Academy's version almost as much as this original, and it's done quite differently- but Beck's doesn't do it for me.

James Hart- thanks for the clearer video.
  10. kasbrey

kasbrey

11. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer Supporting Member

I love that video (and song). Definitely one of those basses left behind during a thwarted Alien invasion. I'd be curious to know the builder, too.

Of course, he probably just used a Fender in the studio.....
  12. cdef

cdef

Ok, I contacted James Warren of The Korgis on mySpace and asked him to resolve this mystery. He says:

So there we have it!
  13. retrofrets

retrofrets

James is playing a Geoff Gale Pulsar bass. The body is Honduras Mahogany with a maple neck and a Dimarzio Model-1
    p/up. He also used a Gale Cobra bass with a carved top. goto:

Geoff Gale models were really interesting and high spec without being weird - in other words they worked and were well designed and looked good.

Got pics if interested?

Regards,
    K
  14. retrofrets

retrofrets

James Warren is playing a Geoff Gale Pulsar bass. The body is Honduras Mahogany with a maple neck and a Dimarzio Model-1
    p/up. James also used a Gale Cobra bass with a carved top.
    go to:

Geoff Gale models were really interesting and high spec without being weird - in other words they worked and were well designed and looked good.

Got pics if interested?

Regards,
    K
  15. spade2you

spade2you

Here are corgis.

[​IMG]