1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What Bass is This???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaamax, Nov 12, 2012.

1. aaamax

aaamax

Another round of Name That Bass!
    I bought this from a guy who said he got it in a German music store.
    It has no markings what so ever. NOt even the pots have markings!
    It plays and sounds like a boutique bass, BUT, The neck is a one piece maple with what I think is a cheesy (but done correctly, just not boutique standards by any means) laminate to extend the length of the wood stock.
    Passive pickups.
    Painted on F-holes and the over-all paint job is as good as any I've seen (i.e., not homemade).
    Under the blue is what looks like a quilted maple top. But the bass is not that heavy.
    So what the hell is this thing?
    Any idea?

Attached Files:

2. aaamax

aaamax

A couple of more pics. And the laminate can be seen clearly in pic #1.

Attached Files:

3. robbotbass

robbotbass

The body shape and headstock has a Washburn type feel to it (my best guess) but to be honest I have NO IDEA!
  4. maxgrant

maxgrant Supporting Member

Well, since we ain't namin' it at least tell us: play nice, sound nice?

It looks delightfully quirky. I wouldn't turn it down, as long as it sounds halfway good. Actually looks kind of Warwick-ish with that really straight upper horn, but not so much the rest, though I am no Warwick expert. Maybe one of those knockoff kit basses or something?

At any rate, aside from the quirkish looks, clue us in! Is it a good thumper, does it have a fast neck?
  5. aaamax

aaamax

The thing is a real trip. It has good balance even though it's small bodied.
    I agree with the Warwickish horn. Kind of like their Dolphin in the body. The sound too is German... if that makes sense. Punchy mid, throaty sound.
    I just saw an Ibanez BTB that reminds me a lot of the hardware. Except their necks have a nice laminate going. Maybe this is some kind of evil one-off prototype thing?
  6. aaamax

aaamax

I looked at some of the T series Washburns and yes, it does seem similar. Very, similar. Maybe a one off prototype...
  7. awilkie84

awilkie84

Wait...are those F-holes painted on!?
  8. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Yup, if you enlarge the pic you can see the reflection going from the blue paint to the black paint.
  9. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

It's a blue one.
  10. aaamax

aaamax

Yes indeedy! Strange bird indeed. the weirdest is that it is factory done.... somewhere. If it were cheesy paint then I would guess that the bass is a garage done project, but it's not.
  11. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Nice bass but the painted on F holes make me lol hard.
  12. joshpman85

joshpman85

Headstock looks very similar to some cort's out there...
  13. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

looks like a cross between a warwick infinity and thumb. or dolphin. god only knows where stuff like this comes from!
  14. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Looks like a bastard child of an Infinity and a Thumb, with some freaky neck going on. Custom project I'm guessing :)
  15. aaamax

aaamax

I wish it was German. But I'm leaning towards some Korean factory (ibanez/Samik/Washburn,etc) prototype. It's the neck that is most suspect.
    Does anyone know how often protos are made and then let out of the floor? I wouldn't think that the asian builds would bother selling one offs.
  16. aaamax

aaamax

A December bump for the strange bird.