What bass makes this sound? and a few more noob questions..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guidojo, Mar 23, 2014.

1. guidojo

guidojo

Hello there,

I'm Guido and I'm trying to pick a bass to buy. Recently I looked on the internet at the possible basses to buy for my first bass.
    The sound I really love is: (listen from 0:42)

1. How do I acquire that sound? I've looked at pickups and think I should go for a Jazz bass, but I don't really like the humming sound a lot of bass guitars have. So would standard Squire Jazz do the trick for me? I've played a lot of bass in simple bands but never had my own (mostly played on a P bass).

2. I've seen a few kinds of pickups but what kinds are there for bass? Only single coil and split coil, because you also see people with a black flat pickup.

3. I've looked at this bass (below) and would that sound fit my needs or is that a bass for people who prefer variety? I really like it because it has both of two worlds and I'm used to the split coils for playing.

SQUIER VINTAGE MODIFIED JAGUAR BASS V
    [​IMG]

Greets Guidojo

2. Jbass4me

Jbass4me

That has alot to do with your instrument and your amp.You can acquire that sound from just about any decent bass/amp combination. Basically i'd just turn some of the mids down to get a warmer tone. I tend to like a bright/deep tone, just easier for me to hear what i'm doing without the bass sounding "muddy". I'd say go to your local music store and try them out..Goodluck.

Funny you mention that song..My old band covered this at a party last summer :)

3. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right. Supporting Member

FWIW - That would be Dave Brown with Santana in 1971 - great tune, great bass line - likely a vintage Fender P-bass. The Squier VM line is excellent - I own a VM Jazz.

4. guidojo

guidojo

Thanks guys :)
    @Jbass4me Nice cover!

Can someone explain me some things about the pickup types that there are? And do string type matter alot? Am I correct thinking that ground/flatwound would make my sound come closer?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Roundwounds could do that sound but you are correct that it's easier to get there with groundwound/flatwound strings.

7. guidojo

guidojo

Thanks guys. I think I know what to look for now :) Flatround + a P or P/J bass. Has anyone some experience with a P/J bass? Where the J element is active (SQUIER VINTAGE MODIFIED JAGUAR BASS V)

8. Jbass4me

Jbass4me

Less treble...happy now?:rolleyes: