1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What bass pedal board on Kings of Leon "Closer" ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassballSawyer, Dec 22, 2012.

1. BassballSawyer

BassballSawyer

Kings of Leon "Closer" what the hell does he use ? I heard Boss ME 50 but I heard its not very good.

2. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

3. rmars

rmars

Go to about 00:45 on this link and the bass tech shows it -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Mtd9u05Yw
    Didn't realized that was bass, absolutely love that tune but never thought about how it's was done. Very cool.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

That's a really cool, creative use of that pedal.

I have the ME50B, which I bought when I was in this crazy two-bass band. I used the pitch shifter for a soloing channel. It sounds thin and weird by itself, but warms up nicely with reverb, as shown in the vid. I also liked putting the fuzz on with it too.

I've owned the pedal for about 5 or 6 years now. I would describe it as a good, not great, pedal. It does some things better than others. The muff fuzz model is reasonable, as is the Sansamp modeler. Most of the other dirt settings are pretty bad. The synths are for me unusable, as are the auto-wahs. The delays are good. The chorusing and flanging is acceptable. The compressor is a lot better than one might think, but can't touch my Markbass Compressore, so I rarely use it. I actually use the "slow gear" effect on some stuff. It's like an auto-volume-swell. The octaver tracks better than my OC2, but lacks the cojones. The pedal wah is so-so, but as little as I use that effect, it's good enough for me.

There is a short moment of silence when switching between patches that one needs to take into account if changing sounds mid-song.

I have a pedalboard full of effects now, but the ME50B is still a part of my signal chain, even if it gets used more as a tuner and volume pedal these days. It can still be great to have handy for finding some extreme, bizarre sounds.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    Bassist4Eris review of the ME50B just about perfectly jives with my memory of the pedal. The two things that spelled the end of the ME50B for me were the delay on patch change (maddening on songs with fast passages and quick changes) and the inability to rearrange onboard effects or insert external effects.

7. rmars

rmars

Never messed with a Digitech Whammy but I would guess that you could pull that effect off with one those and a reverb pedal.