1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What bass should i get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coolpie, Jan 9, 2014.

1. coolpie

coolpie

i'm stuck between a fender mark hoppus p bass or mike dirnt. i like them both but cant decide sound wise.

2. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

I'd do the Hoppus between those two. I don't like the shape of the pickguard on the Dirnt. They probably do sound similar, ill +1 that. I've been wanting the Freeman for a while, maybe someday.

3. GK Growl

GK Growl

The Hoppus has the reversed P pickup right?

4. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FourBanger

FourBanger

I posted they would sound nearly similar but it got deleted by trying to edit it from my iPhone.

To me ears the difference between a reversed and normal P pickup is usually as small as the variation between typical P basses with all the variations in wood, fretboard, strings, etc that exist.

7. JSpradBass

JSpradBass Supporting Member

I'd go for the Dirnt because I prefer the Telecaster Bass look.

8. cv115505

cv115505

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I would really re-think both and refrain from narrowing yourself too much BUT between the 2, I'd go for the Dirnt... better bridge, tone control, ash body, and I have always preferred the balance of the P. That being said, I would really get out there and try some different companies... Reverend is a great option in your price range, and much more versatile... not sure where you are with your playing, but I know my tastes change so versatility is something I look for... also, there are a lot of other Fenders that I feel would be a good idea to check out, like the Jaguar, Dimension, Nate Mendel etc etc etc

9. pudgychef

pudgychef

Of those two I prefer the Dirnt...really like the PU in it and having a tone control is big (imho)

10. dalkowski

dalkowski

They both seem cool. Prefer the look of the Hoppus, but the lack of a tone control...

IIRC, Phalex is a Hoppus partisan. I'm sure he'd have something to contribute.

11. coolpie

coolpie

Thanks a whole lot guys. i think i have made up my mind. i like the look of the dirnt and did some more research so i could compare the two. people have said that the baddass 2 bridge gives great sustain and i really like the way it sounds and looks.

Rock on:bassist:
    Andrew

12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

note that the hoppus p pickups is not in the traditional spot due to the pickguard, it is a little farther north. If you're a fender junkie this might make a difference to you. IMO, the dirnt is the coolest non-traditional p fender makes, hands down. Ive never played one, but i'd love to own one someday.

13. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

The dirnt has better hardware and electronics IMO.

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Putting looks aside, as I recall, the Dirnt has a complete ball bat of a neck. That may be your thing, or it may not be.

15. cv115505

cv115505

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I had a Dirnt at one time and I actually really liked the neck... It was a good bass, I just really wanted Reverend Decision, and selling it was the only way I was going to get it so it's gone. My only remaining recommendation is that you DO NOT buy it from Guitar Center unless it is used.... when you buy from there you are basically paying new prices for a used instrument that has not been maintained at all.