what bass should i get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dawsonabd, Jan 25, 2013.

1. dawsonabd

dawsonabd

im thinking of getting a bass, it will be my first one and im looking for something thats under 700. i play mostly beatles and i will be playing in my school band, so nothing to crazy... any ideas?

2. MoscowRadio

MoscowRadio

If you like the Beatles you should look for Hofner copies, I think Epiphone has a nice one within your price range.

3. dawsonabd

dawsonabd

ya i was looking at some of the violin basses but i dont think i want one, the hofner club looks pretty nice and there is one model for 5 or 600

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Get a used Hofner CT and be done put some labella Beatle flats on it and she will sing "I wanna hold your hand" all night long.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MoscowRadio

MoscowRadio

You could also go for Mexican Fender or G&L Tribute, those basses go for about 700$ new and 400-500$ used.

7. Mikio

Mikio

Epiphone Les Paul special, the best bass of it's kind.

8. dawsonabd

dawsonabd

im going for that vintage kind of look and sound but i dont really want to copy paul mccartney... a hofner would be nice

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Well playing mostly Beatles?... for that price range a Ric is out of the question if you are playing more in your High School Band than at home I would recommend Moscow's suggestion and you could also pick up a used Honer Icon which has that wonderful Hofner thump as well.

10. MoscowRadio

MoscowRadio

I think a Fender Modern Player Telecaster Bass would be right up your alley.

11. TMBTC

TMBTC

12. dawsonabd

dawsonabd

i think id be playing more often at home than for the school band, songs like please please me and their earlier music. i thiknk a hofner would be a good choice,,, im getting a band started up and i think it would suit the style of music i want to play

13. mcm

mcm

Start with the basics. Get a pbass

14. glorth2

glorth2

This, maybe a Squire.

15. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

A nice P bass will serve you well. Don't really know about the quality of the Squier Affinity's these days. But for about a hundred more you could get a nice VM Squier P. Or for about 25 less then an Affinity you could get a VM Jaguar which is essentially a P bass in a different body style. Nice thin Jazz neck on them as well. Short or long scale.

16. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

+1 for a squier precision, maybe a classic vibe series

17. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

A violin bass has got a lot of character, not totally in a good way. Unless you're setting up a tribute band get something that will fit in in any band, like a pbass

18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

You should hit a guitar shop and check some basses out. There's a big difference between a 34" inch scale and a 30ish. If you have average to large hands, I'd second the Squir recommendation. If you have very small hands, check out some of the short scale basses.

19. lolmont

lolmont

Squire P bass or Squire Mustang if you think you'd be more comfortable with a short scale.