1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What bass to buy??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stevarino, Jan 29, 2014.

1. stevarino

stevarino

HI all - I'm a guitarist most of the time, but have been playing some bass in my garage band and want to buy one. We play mostly rock/blues - Allman Bros, Clapton, Grateful Dead, Stones, Van Morrison, etc - and i like the bass line to be audible and "active/improvisational" vs just in the background. Recommendations for bass and/or amp? I don't mind spending some $$ (but like to keep bass under $500 - and i plan to buy used). Thanks for any ideas! I will be going out to try a bunch but any suggestions to help narrow down the universe would be great.

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Definitely try out a Jazz, Precision, and a Stingray. For what you mention I'm thinking the P or J is going to be what you're looking for.

Those 3 basses are arguably the 3 most recorded of all time.

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

+1. I'd probably lean towards the J for "active/improvisational". It's got a midrange growl that cuts through the mix nicely with more melodic playing.

4. Eric_71

Eric_71 Supporting Member

I'd say a precision will be the most bulletproof for you at this point and is pretty hard to screw up. A MIM P seems like a decent option.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

7. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

this is great advice. Under $500 should get a real good P, J or Ray 34.
    Also keep in mind where you are going to play to help determine what amp you will want.

8. stevarino

stevarino

thanks all for the great ideas! how about recommendations for amps? we play mostly at someone's house, with only occasional open mic nights etc, so dont need a real gig amp but want something that is good nonetheless.

9. scottavius

scottavius

I say you cant go wrong with a MIM jazz bass or P bass as stated above, I prefer the J bass though. As far as amps, fender also has the rumble series which is pretty good as well and not that expensive.

10. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Maybe something like the Gallien-Kruger MB110?

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Local GC has a sweet used Squier P for 130 and the SUB Sterling for around 250; for 500 you could have 2 nice but inexpensive basses. (personally I'd get as good a bass as I could get for 500 but those are good basses, I bought the same SUB).

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Based on your playlist, I'm thinking a Jazz bass, perhaps a P bass. You should try to see which one would be most comfortable. There are other basses of course, I love the Sub, some Ibanez basses- but I think the mellow Fender sound is what you're looking for.
    You can easily get a used MIM Fender Jazz or P bass for around $300.

Actually may be able to get a used Made in US Fender if you look hard enough on CL or even online. Here's one for $549

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-P-BSS-USA-1997-BLACK-WC-109812395-i3587609.gc

13. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    checkout the Carvin amps.....great deal for cost...just a thought.

14. Warhawk

Warhawk

Used G&L L-2000 Tribute. That'll definitely cut through the mix.

15. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

For amps, find the bass you like and test it thru amps in your price range. Dont be afraid of the wattage. A better amp will provide a better tone at higher volume, but still work at low volume.

Cone size is important, i like 15s. Others like 10s or 12s. Try them all

I like my Fender 150w combo. The new fender amps are much lighter, big plus.

16. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I'd check Music Go Round and craigslist. I've seen high end stuff on craigs for $500.

17. stevarino

stevarino

thanks everyone! keep the ideas coming! i know what i will be doing the next few weekends.....:)

18. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

My recommendation is to spend more on a quality amp over the bass. That will make or break your sound. If I were going for something around or under $500 I'd keep an eye out for a used American Special jazz or precision bass. MIM's are "okay" but you get a better bass (graphite rods in neck, nicer neck carve, IMO) with the Specials. Barring that, the Squier Classic Vibe jazz and precision basses are really nice as well.

The GK MB 210 combo amps are lightweight and have awesome tone. I was very impressed by the sounds I could get out of them. Guitar Center usually has some on hand.

19. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

+1

20. pudgychef

pudgychef

For an amp I don't think you can beat the closeout deal on the Genz Benz Contour Amps..

I saw a great link in a previous thread..http://www.proaudiostar.com/instrument-gear/bass-amps/genz-benz-contour-ctr500-115t-bass-amp.html

that being said I like the Rumbles over a lot of lower priced bass amps ...but that Contour is usually a $6-700 amp (iirc)

I would second the suggestion for a used MIM P or J (or a used Squier Classic Vibe..silly value and nice playing/sounding basses...many of us on here have gigged many times on them..)

21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I am in full concurrence with this. (My version of +1, which I don't use.)