1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What basses have piezo bridges as an option?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

I'm just idly curious. I know MusicMan has them available, as does ESH. Searching through both the forums and google kept getting me bridges alone.

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yamaha TRB5P-II has a piezo bridge.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Yes, indeed. My fretless Bromberg 5 has the GraphTech Ghost system installed, and let me tell you, for that particular instrument it is a thing of wonder. Combined with the output of the magnetic pickups, it provides a range of tones & timbres that are most musical - and most impressive. I love it! :cool:

MM

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    ZON basses can be had with an RMCs system that utilizes a Polyfusion preamp, IIRC.

7. Hamlet7768

I just looked through the build-a-bass thing for Carvin's B40 and SB4000. Are the piezos only available for certain lines?

8. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Bromberg, Icon, LB, XB, Brunel.

9. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Spector Artcores have them. More for an acoustic type sound, I guess.

- Jimmy Rage

10. Hamlet7768

I see, thanks!

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

The Godin A4 has a piezo bridge and it can be had with a magnetic pickup too as an option. Kinda the converse of what you asked about!

Ken

12. kjpollo

kjpollo

Rob Kelly does them and many of the custom builders will install them too. I know Tom Clement has done a bunch.

13. Immigrant

Immigrant

Hipshot makes a piezo version of their "A" bridge. I have two basses with As on 'em already and it's hard not to think about a swap and re-wire.

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Rick Turner uses the Hipshot with piezos (his own, I presume) on his Electroline series.

15. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

I'm not sure if it's in the bridge, but I know you can get a EBMM Stingray with a piezo.

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

The Spectorcore bass is one of the best sounding piezo/humbucker basses I've played and they're relatively inexpensive used (frequently under $500). I didn't like the fretless version but loved the fretted 5 string.

17. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

Musicman offer piezos on several models ( I think only on single pick up versions of the Stingray, Stingray 5). Piezo's in the bridge saddles.

The Bongo 4 and 5 can be had with them in various pick up patterns - I have a 5HHp and the piezo adds a great alternative sound. As it's mixable with the magnetic pick ups it's very versatile - basically zero to full.

I also heard a Stingray fretless demo'd by a pro artist - from an audience point of view it added a nice amount of string sound to the sound so sounded a bot more acoustic. Once again, it's a mixable sound on the Ray via an extra pot.

19. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    You will have to do some additional routing for the piezo wires that run from each saddle.

20. Immigrant

Immigrant

Of course! Sorry I failed to provide that in my earlier post, but I also would be leaving installation up to a pro. I'm afraid of this bass. I nearly had a panic attack during the first string swap. When I replaced the existing Audere with a different Audere, I suddenly questioned the capability of the repair guy I've taken basses to for years.

I still do setups (rarely needed) and string replacements, re-glued the nut once... But I'm scared to do anything beyond that to this bass.

Polar opposite feelings than you've experienced, huh? ;) (I've seen your work- nice!)

21. Hamlet7768

Wow, that bass looks really cool! Is it like, say, an ES-335 with a center block and hollow wings?