What basses sound most like spectors?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I'm wondering what bass can get the closest to the elusive spector tone. I can get pretty close with my Charvel. Any one else have any input?
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

ah.. the Spector growl? Well, Warwicks, some Tobias basses can - I do have a Riverhead Spector clone that nails it dead on though.
  3. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I've tried quite a few warwicks, and I can safely say that they sound nothing alike. Never tried a tobias though....however, Tobias and Warwick cost a ton of money. I was thinking of something cheaper.
  4. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

How much cheaper? The Legend (Korea) series might fit the bill.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassNoobSuomi

BassNoobSuomi

Ibanez SRT series. Neck-thru. Active EMGs. THICK maple top.

They really do sound similar. Plus the pseudo-toothpick neck is really easy to play.
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Buy a used Euro (NS4CRFM/NS5CRFM). They're a killer value on the used market.
    No a Warwick doesn't come anywhere close.
  8. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1

You can find a used euro four for 800 and a used five for 950 if you look around and have cash waiting for a good deal.

Nothing will sound 'just like the Spector' but some other basses come with a natural agressive tone too.
  9. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

If you want the Spector tone you will probably just have to get a Spector. That's like trying to make a Peavey Amp sound like an Ampeg. It just ain't gonna happen.
  10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Some Warwicks look like Spectors...
    Warwick sound is nice, but not the same animal as Spector.
  11. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Get an early 90's Ibanez SR400 and a set of emg's. P/J pups, rosewood board, maple neck, maple body. $150 for the bass. look for the SR400's with 3 knobs not 4.

Edit: look for one with a serial # that starts with C3 - C5. I think they changed body woods after 95.
  12. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Having owned & played all 3...no. Nothing growls like my Spector.

Nope. No Ibanez I've ever picked up sounds anything like a Spector.
  13. awilkie84

Where the heck are you buying? The cheapest consistent prices I see are $1000-1200 for a Euro5. There's the occasionally derp selling one for under that, but they go REALLY fast.
  14. rob2966

rob2966

My Dingwall AB-II (Glockenklang preamp) can nail that Eddie Jackson "Jet City Woman" tone. Never played a Spector so not sure how similar it is for other tones.

Later
    Rob

[​IMG]
  15. tbz

tbz Supporting Member

There's been a 5 on the LA CL for like a month + for $900. I totally haven't seen a Euro 4 for under $900 though....
  16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

My Warwick LX-5 had way more growl than my Czech made Spector 5, enough so that I sold the Spector and bought another Warwick. Sold that Warwick tho, moved on to other basses. Not better, not worse, just different. One of the best sounding basses I've owned for growl was a 70s Precision with EMG pickups, the tone was easily on par with both the Spector Euro 5 and the Warwick LX-5.
  17. awilkie84

Note to self: Have my friend in LA check out the classifieds for me. -_-
  18. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Ok. Just checked the catalogs. SR400 from 1993 to 2003 seem to all have maple bodies. There were a couple years were the 400 does not show in the catalog though so i cannot guarantee those but should be a safe bet.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/index.html
  19. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

I have to agree with this! Those older Ibanez when equipped with EMG sound very very close...a lot of it is the Reverse P/J Emg's. Even though Spectors with DC's have a similar sound, I have always thought the Rev P/J is where its at. Case in point, I was playing a benefit with 2 other bands, and I am down in the crowd and I hear the next band after us crank up and BAM....I hear a Spector, unmistakable...or so I thought...the bass player was rocking an older Ibanez with EMG P/J's...and it was bringing the growl. :bassist:
  20. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

21. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

+1

Ibanez SRTs are awesome. Def a Spector for the working man!

Seriously had a few Doug W. signature ibanez basses-really awesome-had to sell-one of the biggest mistakes of my life.