1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What benefit does owning multiple basses give you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HunterBurgan4Me, Feb 18, 2013.

1. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

I'm genuinely interested here.

I've owned an active Fender Jazz 5 string for about 4 years now and I love it to pieces, with the right amp settings I can get a ton of different sounds out of it. I've got a 4 string acoustic bass knocking around too to keep my hand in at 4 string and for idle practicing but I never use anything apart from the 5 string gigging.

When I've really really desired a different sound whilst recording I've managed to borrow a bass from a friend or my sound engineer has borrowed one from a music shop.

I just wondered what people's reasoning is for owning multiple basses? Is it for dramatically different sounds, a back up for gigs?

It seems there's more worthwhile bass gear to spend my cash on.

(I did a thread search but couldn't find anything)
  2. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Simply enough for me, I just enjoy playing different basses. And that normally comes down to mood as each one has it's own voice and vibe. When I gig I always bring my 55-02 (my only 5er) and the 4's rotate. For instance this weekend I brought the p bass with flats I recently finished, last week it was my Spector NS2A. Other weeks it could be my Fortress Masterman or any of a number of others.

Just depends on what I feel like.
  3. xroads

xroads

How many styles of music do you play?

If you can get the sounds you need out of 1 bass, IMHO, there is no need to own more than 1 (except as backup in cases of loss).
    If you play diverse styles, it might become difficult. I play jazz and rock/funk, currently on a PJ bass, however I would love to have another (J-type or modern) bass so that I can string one with flats and one with rounds.
  4. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

I use a 5 mostly. But i bring my 4-string sometimes, the neck is thinner so i can play faster, also it plays better up high.

And i also sometimes tune it in tenor tuning. + its lighter and is a change in REALLY long sets.
  5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    For me, it's a source of inspiration. There are days that (!!!) I'm just not feeling my MIA Fender, or I just want a different tone that a P, so I pick up either my SCPB for a slightly different tone, or my jazz clone for something entirely different.

Different paintbrushes for different strokes. Nothing more.
  6. backup

backup

there is one tone i want and i don't need anything else. currently i'm playing a squier vm jazz with flats and i get a more or less decent tone no matter where or through what i'm playing. that's important to me and until i got funds to buy myself a keeper with monster tone i'll continue playing that heavy piece of ....
  7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Different tone and different tuning available for me
  8. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

+1 @ Willbassyeah

I hate retuning instruments
  9. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

This reply is to the question at the head of the thread.... Answer ) not much...lol :)
  10. Blue

Blue

I have three ... a fretted, a fretless, and an EUB. They handle differently enough that each makes me play differently.
  11. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

I play in a metal band but we have elements from grunge, ska, punk, folk, classical and everything else.

I also used to be in a Funk band similar to Stevie Wonder or Freak Power.

I found my 5 string Jazz bass worked wonders for all of them.

It goes low enough to play heavy stuff and honestly I don't find it a problem to play songs written in say a drop C tuning on my 5 string. Just requires less open notes.

I was thinking about getting a Stingray at one point but I'm not sure i'd get enough use out of it for it to be worth it.
  12. msact

msact Supporting Member

Owning multiple basses is strictly a hobby for me. I don't play in a band and really don't care to at this stage in my life. I just have fun collecting them.
  13. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

A good hobby too !
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic

I like to make parts basses, so they just keep multiplying.
  15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I like all different basses, and I like regularly playing them.
    I like having different tones available to me. Some gigs I want to use a P, others a J, etc.
    I like different looks and color combinations

I use just one, but why should I have to if I don't want to?
  16. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

I own many basses from many styles and tones.
    I like to think I'm like a "bass actor" and my different instruments are like my costumes. :)

One for each different occasion.

Sometimes I would need a funky 70's JB tone, sometimes a 60's McCartney-ish tone, or an aggressive, active, modern Sadowisky… Whatever I need, I'm covered.
  17. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Me too!

I can't be like Jay Leno and own hundreds of cool cars and motorcycles because I'm too poor.

So, I own a bunch of basses!
  18. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

People just drop them off on my doorstep and I don't have the heart to get rid of them! I only three of my choosing, but I do own more than three total.

I guess the best reason to own multiple basses would be if you're a gigging or recording musician with variable needs.
  19. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

Because this is 'Murricuh, and I can do what I want...

Seriously, why not? I have multiple for practical and sentimental reasons. Don't judge. People are people and they'll do and think what they want.
  20. Klonk

Klonk Norwegian Wood Gold Supporting Member

After owning a lot of basses over the years, I've narrowed it down to one 4 stringer and one 5er. Usually I'm only bringing one of them to a gig or rehearsal, but in some cases I bring both, if the material we're playing is diverse.

I play in a blues band, an old school country band, and an 80s hair metal band at the moment, so I think it is nice to have at least one 4 and one 5er that I am really happy with playing.