1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What best way to record in a place where i cant mic a cab.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by th30nlyAket, Mar 22, 2014.

1. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

im in a small aprtment complex and i cant get anything past maybe a 1x12 amp in the place im at and obviously cant even turn that up really loud. Whats the best way to record that. I been useing a decent little di box into a interface but it seems muddy and just not that great. Heres options i been looking at.

Amp head with xlr out

One of these rack units like Sansamp RBI or Ampeg SVP

A di pedal such as EBS Microbass or the new Sansamp VT bass

Or software.

What will give the best quality. I really like my tone played thought a 4x10 cab( i burrowed on one time) but obviously thats not viable here.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Check out all the guitar/bass amp modeling packages. They all include cabinet emulation also. The demo versions are essentially free to try.

Keep in mind that a bass guitar signal is not at a line level unless it has a onboard pre-amp. Your interface needs to have a "guitar" level input to get the most out of the bass. Plenty of basses have great tone directly connected but you may need a pre-amp to match levels with your interface. A great transparent pre in a pedal form is way less than $50.

3. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

yes i have this small box that does that. bass has a decent tone but not a great one.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Try it in a mix with other instruments.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassie12

bassie12

7. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

ive mixed with other instruments sounds decent. just not as good as it does live i guess you could say. and i will try bass amp room thanks

8. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

What's the bass? When you're going DI, the bass needs to.have the sound you want or you're out of luck. I like the various tech 21 pedals, and the Barber Linden EQ for my DI chain.

9. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Find something that can match impedance and levels sufficiently such that you are getting a good clean signal. A very vanilla DI might be all you need, and one from an amp head would do the job, but it won't always be very pleasant to listen to so you might want, even at the recording stage, so monitor back via a VST amp modelling plug in, provided you can get the sound card latency low enough that it doesn't affect your playing. There are some free options out there if you don't want to spend the cash on a commercial package until you know your way around the modelling options.

It's not a bad plan to record at least one track direct to disk with the most plain vanilla sound you can get. You can always reprocess this track when you come to mix, and it gives you the most options for remixing it.